My first roast with Target popper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first roast with Target popper

Theres nothing like jumping straight into it hey? I got my first grinder a week or so ago, my first real espresso machine (Silvia) yesterday and attempted my first roasts today! My roaster is a Target 900w popper with a tin can chimney.

So Im asking for critique, tips and suggestions please.

My first ever roast - Colombian Volcan Galeras Supremo.
    This one I started with 100g of green and roasted for 19 minutes with no crack at all. The yield ended up being 85g. The beans seem to vary in colourI was outside with the popper on my BBQ. I had quite a long extension cord. The outside temperature would be around 15-16 degrees today.

My second roast - Colombian Volcan Galeras Supremo
    I decided to add more beans, 120g this time. I went for 16 minutes and didnt have a crack. Yield was 100g. Same conditions as above. The beans vary in colour as above but not as much.

My 3rd roast - Peru Ceja del Selva Estate
    I went with different beans this time. It also started to spit rain so I moved into the garage and left the garage door open. I also changed to a shorter extension lead, 1.5m I think. I stayed with 120g of beans and got a crack at 7:33 or so. I got a crack every now and then until 13min and nothing after that. I stopped the roast at 19min. Yield was 95g. The beans seem to be much more consistent in colour.

4th roast - Peru Ceja del Selva Estate
    Same beans again, 120g. 1st crack at 7:33 again and a crack every now and then until 12min. Nothing after that and I stopped at 19min. Yield was 95g. Only change was closing the garage door. Again, consistent bean colour.

Im guessing the cracks arent happening due to not getting a high enough heat? Maybe a higher wattage popper would be better for the cooler ambient temperature? Itll be interesting to see how the Columbian beans go with the same conditions as the Peru.

Ill see how they taste in a couple of days.

Re: My first roast with Target popper

Hi Dan,

Im assuming this was with the soup can on? on this popper Id not go much past 16mins as the taste and aroma becomes flatter if you over extend the roast. Its obvious that youre just not getting the heat up enough for 2nd crack. Was there any wind while you were roasting? This popper just hates wind. Needs to be under sheltered and away from wind. makes a huge diff. Would you say your roasts are around CS7 or CS8?

Comment

Yes to soup can and there was a little breeze. Thats why I moved into the garage for the 2nd two roasts where I did get a first crack. The first two roasts are quite uneven in colour. Id say between CS5 and CS6, the second two roasts CS7-CS8. Ill have another go next weekend and see what the temperature is like. Maybe put the popper in a box to insulate it a bit.

I do look forward to tasting them once theyve rested a day or so.

Comment

That last one looks pretty good!

Comment

Some like their roasts fairly light, personally I try for CS9 as anything under tends to be a tad "bright" for me. See how they taste. Remember what you taste in the first week will be different to 2 weeks. Some beans I prefer to drink within 1 week others I found tasted better from 3 weeks rest. I agree with Marcism that the last roast looked around CS8, closer to what I like. In my target popper I get 2nd crack before 10 minutes in 20 degrees and up ambient temperature. Have not really used it since Ive moved to Corretto in the cooler weather.

Comment

try sitting the popper in an aldi bag, the ones that are used to carry your freezer stuff home. Mine has a silver lining and it keeps the heat in, keeps the wind away and shortens the time considerably.  First crack at about 3 mins and second about 7 or 8.  Great for popping in cold weather.
            cheers

Comment

Thanks guys. Great idea on the cooler bag leatheroo, I have a few of those lying around. Ill give that a go for sure.

Comment

Great job Dan
                Looks like youre really getting into it

Comment

Given those suckas a taste yet?

Comment

No not yet. Tomorrow I think. I did give the beans a smell and Im happy that they have a nice aroma now compared to he burnt smell after the roasting.

Comment

Ah ok. Gotta say I am very excited to get using my popper. Im using your thread for potential troubleshooting problem I might encounter! (holds up aldi chillybag)

Comment

I just cleaned out my grinder and put some of my first roast in - the Columbian.

Now Im still very much a beginner in the home barista scene so my coffees are far from perfect. I made a single cup latte with a double basket. The extraction was a little slow, mouse tail to drip, mouse tail to drip and it produced a medium coloured crema.

How does it taste? To me, yum!

Ive always had my coffees with a sugar but I thought Id taste this one without. Im glad I did! No need for sugar at all. I dont have a developed coffee palette yet so I cant really compare or judge how good it is. Im not sure how a more seasoned drinker would rate it.

I guess if it tastes good to me then its a good start!

Ill have to have a taste of the Peru roast next and see how it compares.

Comment

If you like it thats all that matters. I think youd love the peru if you liked the Colombian, especially looking at the photos. The peru should cut through the milk a little better. You should really try them as espressos. In milk everything is more forgiving but at the same time hides much of the characters of the roast and the beans.

Comment

I also did my first ever roast last night. Bought a 1200W popper of ebay. I set up for roasting outside in Melbourne at about 9:30pm. It was about 10degrees.

First roast was 100gm of Ethiopian beans, roasted very quickly, first crack at about 2m45sec and no separation between first and second crack. Also a bit of inconsistency in the roast. Took it off the roast at about 4m30sec.

Second roast I did another 100gm of the Colomian. This time I had the fan on the whole time and juggled the popper during the roast. Still no real separation between first and second crack but a much more consistent roast, still about the 245" for first crack and let this one darken up and run out to about 530" with a little smoke at the end. This roast was more consistent in colour.

I have added couple of holes either side in the casing now, about the size of a golf ball in each side to get some better ventilation. Also I think I will use an extension lead to lower the power a bit. Hopefully I can get that separated first and second crack and drag the roast out a few minutes.

P.S. beans didnt seem oily or anything, after letting them sit I had a quick sniff on the way out this morning and they smell like roasted coffee beans.. so thats a start

Comment

Hi Bergs,

You may find that with your more powerful popper you might have to reduce your qty of beans (around 80g) to allow more airflow through and therefore less heat and therefore extend the roast. It is the opposite with the Target Popper.

Comment

Working...
                              X