Gas burners for stovetop roasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas burners for stovetop roasting

Hi, Im hoping to attempt my first roast tomorrow. Im using a whirley pop popcorn maker, and hoping to use a butane portable gas stove as the heat source.

The only stove I have is one of those butane cannister type camping stoves, apparently they put out arount 7500 BTUs.

Does anyone know if this is enough to roast coffee?

Any help or advice would be very much appretiated.

Thanks, Don

Re: Gas burners for stovetop roasting

The popcorn maker is the heat source. Dont go putting the popper on the stove.

Do a search >>>>>>^^^^^^ There are plenty of threads on how to roast as well as pictures of peoples setups for inspiration.

Tim.

Comment

Relax timmyb google says this is a whirlypop

I too had visions of an electric hot air popper going on the stove.. not a pretty sight!  ;D

Straightaways, I cant really help with your specific question as I launched straight into a coretto style roaster. Ive spent about $75 in total including cooler, so it doesnt have to be a big step up financially.

My only advice would be to get in and try it. Either Ive been incredibly lucky, or even a bad home roast is good! 8-)

Comment

Ha, thats pretty funny. I just put my electric heater in the fire as well, it was pretty warm.

I have searched and havent really found the answer. No probs though, all I can do is give it a crack! Thanks lads, Ill post results.

Comment

Haha! Im a Gen Y - to me popcorn comes from a microwavable bag! Dont mind me.

Youll find the butane cookers burn hotter so you should have no trouble getting enough heat! Anyway, just give it a go, take photos and report back.

Comment

Ive been happily roasting small 200g batches in the Baby Roaster with a small primus-type stove. Roast times between say 12 - 18 minutes depending on the gas flow.

Comment

Ive been using one of those gas stoves for my roaster.. works pretty well. the flame is quite adjustable so if its cooking too fast, wind it back a bit

Take photos

Comment

I started on the gas stove in my kitchen with the Whirlypop, but have since moved outdoors and I do it on the barbecue grill. Works great, and the smoke just drifts off into the sky. Wife is much happier.

Comment

7500 BTU is about the norm for portable and marine LPG stove burners. It is more than adequate for boiling water, cooking anything....and popping corn.

Comment

Working...
                  X