Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking better results for the poor Yemen

Hi,

Ive been roasting with my Gene cafe for around 2 years now, with mostly fantastic results. In the early days i kept a log of every roast i did and tried to aim for first crack at 11:00 ish and delay second by 4-6 mins further if i wanted to go that far, as i heard that was the general consensus.

This has worked for me somewhat, but i still get the odd roast the tastes astringent and dirty. A good example is the Yemen Mocha Haimi. I thought id splash out and try a Yemen that everyone gets so excited about when they pop up at the monthly. I have a nice looking cs9 roast that didnt hit second, smells of berries in the bag, smells amazing off the grinder, but tastes burnt and overly acidic as a doppio ristretto flat white.

My pours are pretty consistent and as i have a Breville BES860 with built in grinder i thought id take the beans to work and try it out on our cafe hardware. As a single shot flat white i got the same result unfortunately. This has been true for over half the bag of the Yemen, which is upsetting. I got the same results with the Ethiopian Limmu, could never get it to taste nice. Are some beans just not destined for the espresso machine or does it sound like my roasting is not hitting the mark? Anyone else tried roasting the Yemen Mocha Haimi in the Gene?

Ive got a USB logger from the bean bay arriving today that i will be putting in the Gene for search of consistency and better results.

Thanks guys!

Re: Seeking better results for the poor Yemen

Originally posted by 41405540464C41250 link=1341271192/0#0 date=1341271192
    I have a nice looking cs9 roast that didnt hit second, smells of berries in the bag, smells amazing off the grinder, but tastes burnt and overly acidic as a doppio ristretto flat white.
    If roasting for espresso, I would take it to the start of second crack. Also, try a longer rest time before opening the bag. I usually rest Yemeni beans for 10 - 12 days.

If you have a Aeropress, try one of your YMH in that.

Comment

Thanks Flynn ill give it a go. I tried to roast lighter as i didnt want to lose too many flavours, but will try your suggestion. No Aeropress unfortunately only a plunger and hand grinder other than the espresso machine.

Comment

Originally posted by 25243124222825410 link=1341271192/2#2 date=1341290670
        only a plunger
        Try in the plunger then. A lighter roast may work better using a manual brewing method if espresso doesnt work.
        Try a different temperature profile as well. Andys notes recommend plenty of heat for the dry processed beans such as Yemeni and Ethiopians but you could try a little slower to first crack. On the KKTO, I preheat to 150 add the beans and they will usually hit first crack in around 14 minutes. then a 3 - 4 minute ramp to second crack.

Comment

Don't give up on these beans!

I roast Yemeni's in the Gene. For espresso!

My simple technique which seems to work very reliably is:
          1. Pre-heat to 250C (used to take 6mins, now takes a lot longer...)
          2. Emergency stop, put 250g of beans in and set the time for 20mins and hit go.
          3. Wait for FC - depends on ambient but right now it takes 10:30
          4. 4 minutes and then emergency stop and cool

The 4 minutes takes me to the verge of second crack. Usually 4:10 to 4:20 will see second crack start.

You'll need to tune your actual temperature settings somewhat. My Gene performs differently from Hazbean's and only the general outline of this process transplants!

Best of luck, Yemeni's are my all time favourite!!

/Kevin

Comment

Depecid,

Do you "ramp" roast your Yemen?

I am a massive fan of Yemen and I have ramped roasted mine for over 5 years now in the GC, and I find that this is the only way to do these. (Thank you Dennis!)

If you have any questions, I am happy to help out and give you the ramping cook for these.

-Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Maccas_chicka View Post
              Depecid,

Do you "ramp" roast your Yemen?

I am a massive fan of Yemen and I have ramped roasted mine for over 5 years now in the GC, and I find that this is the only way to do these. (Thank you Dennis!)

If you have any questions, I am happy to help out and give you the ramping cook for these.

-Linda
              Pardon my ignorance Linda, but what do you mean by Ramp Roast?

Mal.

Comment

Anyone else know what this means...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                  Anyone else know what this means...
                  I assumed Linda meant temperature profiling but is probably more specific than it if it refers to roasting of a particular bean. Hopefully Linda (or Den) will share her technique.

Comment

I'm also interested. Bought some from current beanbay - and apart from the bean size issue with Behmor drum was hoping on some ideas re appropriate profile. Was going to try P1 but really not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                      Pardon my ignorance Linda, but what do you mean by Ramp Roast?

Mal.
                      Maybe a ramping temperature input (ie slow start then climbing temp?)
                      Matt

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
                        I assumed Linda meant temperature profiling but is probably more specific than it if it refers to roasting of a particular bean. Hopefully Linda (or Den) will share her technique.
                        That's kind of what I thought too Steve, but you know what they say about making assumptions...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by bennett View Post
                          I'm also interested. Bought some from current beanbay - and apart from the bean size issue with Behmor drum was hoping on some ideas re appropriate profile. Was going to try P1 but really not sure.
                          My experience with Yemen Mocha in the Behmor is that P3 gives rather poor results. Other roasters told me this is a hard bean, and it needs LOTS of heat.

Roast it at P1, and take it 1-2 minutes from the start of first crack, or all the way up to second crack. It is now my favorite coffee to roast.

Comment

Ok, this is my first go of Yemen Bani Ismail on my Behmor. Man what a tough bean to tame!!! Very quiet cracks and it really takes some heat. After much deliberation I decided to start out on P3 which would replicate a 'ramped' profile as suggested by others - maybe I would have been better of sticking with P1 as suggested by rgrosz.

I used 1lb P3C (375g of green beans). It took forever. First snaps of 1C at 18min then rolling 1C at 18:50min start of 2C at 20:05min and pressed cool and cooled internally.

Looks OK. I know Yemen can look quite a mixed bag in colour. Will rest it and try in a few days. The two pictures are the same batch under different lighting conditions.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Roasted 725 grams of Yemen Sanani Mocha in the Coretto this morning, from cold to 1st crack @ 200c heat gun set on 630c took 12 mins, reduced the heat to 500, second crack in approx 19 mins @ 227c.
                              The beans are small and uneven in size so the resulting roast is a bit mottled but overall they came up pretty well.
                              Have roasted these as well as other beans from the Yemen in the past, never had any major drama with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X