Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasting the Yemen

Hi all,

Put some Yemen in the Corretto this evening. Applied a little more heat than usual, First crack was rather subdued (10mins) - didnt really roll much. Second crack 5 minutes later, a bit more of a roll and a little bit of smoke - pulled at CS9. On inspection an uneven roast with a number of very light beans. Is this normal ops for the Yemen: does it roast uneven?

On a separate note two stones the size of small beans, concrete in colour, were spotted while cooling.

Dry process, very uneven, very ugly, very yum!
    Works well at CS10 too, more of the big cocoa comes through

Only 2 stones? Check again, you missed one
    ;-)

Comment

Thanks Andy,

I chickened out and pulled it when it started to smoke a bit, guess rather a bit under done than over. What do I do with the runt beans - take em out or leave them in? Your preference?

Comment

Originally posted by paulvin View Post
        Thanks Andy,

I chickened out and pulled it when it started to smoke a bit, guess rather a bit under done than over. What do I do with the runt beans - take em out or leave them in? Your preference?
        Hi Paul!

Don't let the smoke put you off. This is normal for when it goes into the start of SC.

Andy is right. About CS 9-10 is perfect for these, and leave them sit for at least 7-10 days. (if you can wait that long! )

Runt beans. Most of what makes up Yemen is sort of runt looking. Leave them in. I have never removed any of them.

Just a bit of advice BEFORE you actually cook them. Screen for stones/concrete. Some are real hard to spot even after roasting.

-Linda

Comment

I also roast mine to CS 10 and yes I have found several stones and yes I have missed some. They don't affect the taste

Comment

I must respectfully disagree. Stones affect the taste terribly. They destroy burrs putting grinders out of action. Grinding beans with a hammer while awaiting replacement burrs tastes terrible.

On a separate note: The yemen is incredible.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X