Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bland ethiopian

Hi all.
    Im only very new to roasting but the flavours and crema im getting is like WOW! Best decision i made to get the starter pack from here!
    But i have ethiopian and roasted it to around cs 8-9 and the flavour is nice. Not like coffee im used to. But like... Well rather bland. Definately more fruity then chocolatey but not a strong flavour. Is there any advice anyone can give me to improve this guy?
    On a side note.... Peruvian.... Mmmmm haha

Maybe give the ethiopian a few more days rest time for the flavours to develop,

You could possibly roast a little bit darker CS 9

I find 8 days post on they taste great.

Comment

Ethiopian (and most beans) do taste best after a few days and up to a couple of weeks post roast.
      Since I only drink espresso--well, ristrettto--I like my beans roasted to CS 9 or 10. I find the lighter roasts to be a bit bland and 'acidic' unless really well aged. I have some Australian that only tastes good to me after 3 weeks.

Ethiopian beans range widely. What bean is it? Many Ethiopian beans are on my 'most favourite' list.

Greg

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. Ill do a darker roast and let them sit a week before the first try
        Oh. They're Ethiopian gambella sundried
        Hopefully i can work these tricky beans out Haha

Comment

Yep, another vote for darker too... the Gambella can be an amazing coffee and should be a lot of things but rarely would I expect them to be "bland".

I'm sure with a bit more roast time you will find a totally different coffee.

Comment

bland ethiopian

Originally posted by Andy View Post
            ... the Gambella can be an amazing coffee
            +1. I have fond memories of it.

Comment

+1 for darker. Gambella is a very forgiving bean and to me is best at CS 10. It is one of my favorites.

Comment

yep, no way would I call this bland

Comment

I have the same issue with "nice but a bit bland" with both the Gambella and Yemen when I go too light (before or at the first snap of 2C) - but push them into 2nd crack and you've got a fabulous espresso!

Comment

Try using a lower dose and finer grind to extract a bit more out of the coffee too.

Comment

Originally posted by muppet_man67 View Post
                      Try using a lower dose and finer grind to extract a bit more out of the coffee too.
                      A finer grind will result in a lower dose volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco_Lever View Post
                        A finer grind will result in a lower dose volume.
                        only if you dose by weight rather than volume, I dose by volume

Comment

Working...
                        X