Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are There Any Beans That Generally Need Less Of A Rest Time Before Drinking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are There Any Beans That Generally Need Less Of A Rest Time Before Drinking?

Hi,
    Are there any beans that generally need less of A rest time before drinking?
    I go away a lot and would like to roast beans when I get back home and not have to wait 10 days before the beans are at there best. I am roasting in a Corretto with data logger and have done about 12 roasts so far and very happy with the results so far. Thanks

Out of interest what beans have you got?

I find most fruity/sweet beans are pretty doable on day 1. I think the 10 day rest is the exception not the rule and most beans are allegedly best around 5 days.

Could depend on what you like more than best/worst day.

I would recommend you to sample the batch each day for 10 days and see what works for you!

Comment

Decaf WOW drinks well after day 2 ... Best bet is to try a lot of beans and see which you like best after just a couple of days. I find most beans aren't developed until at least day 5 or 6 and some well past that. I also find that darker roasts l will, in general, develop more quickly.

Comment

I roast mostly to CS 9 or 10, and consume from day 2 or 3 on.
        Some of the lighter roasts (say CS 8 or 9) and some of the more acidic beans (non-african & non-indonesian) take a bit more of a rest before I like them. Of course YMMV.

Greg

Comment

Thanks for the reply's.
          I have mainly roasted Nicaraguan and Colombian beans, and I have found I prefer the taste after about a week but quite often I have used most of them before they get to that point, that's why I thought I would ask the question. I have been doing 300gr roasts and just a couple of types of beans as I try and get the hang of roasting. What beans are considered fruity/sweet? I was planning on buying some of the WOW and giving it ago. I could probably start doing bigger roasts as well.
          Thanks

Comment

Sorry TJM but I'm not familiar with either of them, you should be able to get at least some sweetness out of them.

If I use the Wahgi as an example around CS9 on the members card (on my hottop its maybe 1min or a little more before start of 2C on a 3-5 degree ramp), I get an orange sherbety/candy sweetness. You'll know if you go too light because there will be a lot of acidity.

How dark are you roasting? Most beans seem to lose a lot of sweetness at 2C but again it's really about what you like.

Assume you're talking about the Decaf WoW, agree with Smoky above it is very good early on. I think it is more a complex espresso style blend though so don't expect too much sweetness. That said it consistently produces amazing espresso!!

Comment

Working...
            X