Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breadmaker Mods - Corretto

Hi guys,

After a long break from home made espresso I'm back. I had been using my stove top coffee maker for a few years after my Via Venezia died but a month ago I took the plunge at bought a VBM Jnr from Di Bartoli's and I am once again well and truly addicted to my espresso machine.

So addicted in fact I have decided to start home roasting due to the amount of beans I am going through every week. I picked up a Breadman breadmaker from Salvo's yesterday and am going to get it rewired so the paddle spins non stop but I couldn't find any information on whether people isolate the heating element aswell or is the extra heat not an issue.

Cheers

Sully

Hi Sully
    Welcome! There are lots of different approaches (see the sticky corretto thread) but most people just rewire to mix only. I've only just done that to mine when the touchpad died - for about 18 months I've just been using the dough cycle, which worked fine. I removed the element ages ago, so that I could fit the insulated pan in.
    Maybe you could give the dough cycle a go first? Despite the constant mixing convenience, I am missing being able to use the countdown timer for measuring the time… :-)

Matt

Comment

Yeah, in most cases the heating element doesn't enter into the equation, the Bread Maker is basically just providing agitation.

I have seen, I think, one person who also uses the BM element.

Comment

Thanks guys,

I think I will just pull the element out then.

I checked on the dough cycle last night, it only spins for 15mins and then stops, would this be enough time...I suppose I could just restart it again but for the first couple of minutes it only spins in pulses.

Comment

15 mins is probably a bit short, you want about 20 mins to be sure.

Restarting with pulsed stirring at that late a point in the roast will most likely have a negative impact. One of the things you want to have tight control over is the ramp between 1C and 2C, unfortunately end of the 15 min period is probably smack bang in the middle of that.

Comment

Definitely need at least 20 minutes. Most of my roasts end between 17 and 19 minutes...so you want at least 20.

Comment

Hmmmmm 15mins - might be sparky friend time then!
              :-)

Comment

I thought as much....I have tried all the local electrical appliance repair shops but none of them seemed interested in helping (either too busy or spun me a story that it was too big a job???).

I'd try it myself but I wouldn't know one end of a soldering iron from the other.

Comment

Have you measured the time of any of the other mix cycles? They can vary machine to machine - maybe a bread cycle might go for longer? It shouldn't start to warm till after initial mixing anyway - which might go for longer than 15mins in another cycle… ?

Comment

Its one of those things that get spouted on-line all the time about getting a sparky to do it. I don't disagree, but the reality is unless you know one personally or friend of a friend ect they will never perform such a modification out of a professional business situation.

You are asking them to risk their profession and livelihood to modify a machine to be used for a purpose it was never designed for, hence making it non compliant to Aus standards.

I say ask around people you know if they have any friends with an electrical background. All else fails you can take the risk and educate yourself, but that's a dodgy road when your dealing with 240V and i don't recommend it for obvious reasons.

Comment

Yeah its a challenge, Steve.
                      I have a little bit of electronics experience, but not much in 240v, so while I was pretty confident to tackle the practical side myself I really wanted some confirmation about what I was looking at when I got the thing open and what needed retaining to make it work - which a fellow snobber talked me through. I agree it's certainly not worth risking your life for!
                      If you really can't find anyone who'll help and you're not confident to do it yourself, and your current find is not going to do the job - might just be worth looking for a 2nd hand Breville (mine's a BBM100/280) or similar - should only be $30 or something - one that has a 30 minute dough cycle. The breadmaker reviews here in the roasting section should have the info on machines with suitable cycles…
                      Matt

Comment

Steve, that's the impression I got from most of the people I spoke to, either that or they thought I was trying to set up some backyard meth lab.

Matt, thanks for the tips...I think I will keep my eye out for a secondhand Breville, it shouldn't be too hard to find one in an op shop around Sydney.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Comment

Hmmmm
                          Another thought - might be a bit left field. But maybe the local Men's Shed? These are popping up everywhere, and there's gotta be lots of retired electrical/mechanical types who are more than happy to potter around inside a BM - take along the machine and make a few brews - might get it happening!

Comment

Originally posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post
                            Hmmmm
                            Another thought - might be a bit left field. But maybe the local Men's Shed? These are popping up everywhere, and there's gotta be lots of retired electrical/mechanical types who are more than happy to potter around inside a BM - take along the machine and make a few brews - might get it happening!
                            That is actually a really good idea!

Comment

Of you have basic electrical knowledge and common sense modding them is no harder than wiring a light socket.

Im not going to tell you how to do it but there is only 3 wires you need to be worried about. I removed everything from mine except the start capacitor. They were even marked as to what they were in my BM

Comment

Working...
                              X