Flavouring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flavouring.

Hello my friends from the opposite side of the world...

I was wondering about roasting flavoured coffees and if anybody has any experience in it and/or tips on how the heck to do it. I used the search engine for the forums, even spelling it the wrong way (no u), and couldn't find anything... Well, there was one but the link was dead.

I am typically a strictly black coffee with as little sugar as possible, but I think for Christmas, I think I want to try roasting a Cinnnamon, a peppermint, and maybe just a classic Hazelnut... for fun.

SO... Any ideas?

I own a Behmor 1600 drum roaster, so I do roast it myself from green.

Thanks,

Your friendly Neighbourhood Coffee Snob... ummm on the other side of the world... Canada!

There is a chapter on that sort of thing towards the end of Kenneth David's book "Home Coffee Roasting: Romance and Revival". Too much to re-iterate here sorry.

Pete

Comment

You don't roast flavored coffee. You roast coffee and then flavor it with a coating. If you really must cover up the taste of good coffee with flavorings there's a nice selection of flavored syrups out there. Using those will allow you to have drink the coffee straight or flavor it. If you insist on flavoring the beans themselves both liquid and solid types of flavorings are available.

Java "Don't let any of the flavorings get anywhere near your roaster!" phile
      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

In some parts of the world 'torrefacto' roasting is pretty common, which involves adding sugar directly into the roaster to coat the beans. These are then blended with a regular roast afterwards.

Torrefacto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Torrefacto Roasted Coffee « jimseven

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post
          Not to mention the poor grinder!

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post
            You don't roast flavored coffee. You roast coffee and then flavor it with a coating. If you really must cover up the taste of good coffee with flavorings there's a nice selection of flavored syrups out there. Using those will allow you to have drink the coffee straight or flavor it. If you insist on flavoring the beans themselves both liquid and solid types of flavorings are available.

I assume you've never tried Vietnamese butter roasted coffee then? Clarified butter, oil, sugar and sometimes vanilla are thrown in the roaster with the beans for a long, slow roast. What could possibly be more fun than cleaning rancid burnt butter out of a roaster in a hot, humid country like Vietnam?

Comment

Hi I don't like to be the bitter dude that just reads random posts looking to dis instead of being constructive which is obviously what your after but I can't help myself; would you be interested in buying a nicely aged Shiraz if it had the addition of flavoring? Say 'added orange juice' or 'pineapple' or if your 10yo port wine isn't sweet enough just add a teaspoon of sugar! My constructive advice would be put your roaster to good use with some premium single origins if you want some interesting nuances from your coffee - provided you know how to brew it well too of course

Comment

I think for Christmas, I think I want to try roasting a Cinnnamon, a peppermint, and maybe just a classic Hazelnut... for fun.
                I prefer unflavoured coffee but if you have to, then syrups are the best way to add flavours to coffee as they can be adjusted per cup as you add them later giving you the choice of flavoured or non-flavoured.

Coffee beans are hydroscopic and will take on liquid and smells of items around them. Why don't you experiment with dropping some whole cinnamon sticks in the bag of coffee after roasting to see if much of the flavour migrates to the beans. Peppermint leaves and roasted hazelnuts might work too. The flavours would be more subtle but would be more natural.

I've been going to experiment with the above for years but I'm enjoying good coffee too much to want to flavour it.

Let us know how you go.

Comment

I recall watching a video of a WBC competition on youtube a while back, in which one of the contestants signature drink for the event was a shot pulled through some spices placed on a muslin cloth suspended above the demitasse.
                  I forget the exact mixture but iirc it contained star anise and a couple of other things. I've been meaning to try something like this myself - I like espresso, I like anise, only makes sense to try the two together!
                  Must try and find that clip again.

Comment

Good thread on Hazelnut coffee here
                    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-co...ut-coffee.html

Comment

Originally posted by Wynton87 View Post
                      Hi I don't like to be the bitter dude that just reads random posts looking to dis instead of being constructive which is obviously what your after but I can't help myself; would you be interested in buying a nicely aged Shiraz if it had the addition of flavoring? Say 'added orange juice' or 'pineapple' or if your 10yo port wine isn't sweet enough just add a teaspoon of sugar! My constructive advice would be put your roaster to good use with some premium single origins if you want some interesting nuances from your coffee - provided you know how to brew it well too of course
                      Hi Wynton87,
                      I just had to respond to your post, because 1 I enjoy confrontation, but more importantly, I LOVE correcting foolishness. Firstly, a nicely aged Shiraz is an already altered drink... hence AGED. You can buy a 1 year old Shiraz at any liquor store. This is very similar to coffee because the pallet has many nuances of oak, floral, and in certain years you can actually get the hint of fruitiness... of course that is solely dependent on the vineyard they come from, the additives, the pollination process... etc, I'm sure you know that too, so I'll let that be.

Being Portuguese myself, I'm sure I've had some of the best tasting Port Wine in the world since I've been to the vineyards, to the cellars big and small around Porto, Portugal and along the back-road vineyards that run along the Douro River. You are right that the port wine is very good. But why is that? The full flavour of a wine and the sweetness of juice? Since you're an apparent wine purist I'm sure you don't like the sweetness at all, because that wouldn't really be similar to a wine since the fermentation process is stopped before the sugar transformers into alcohol. Which again, I assume you know.

But here's the part that bugs me about armchair quarterbacks like yourself... And I quote from MY post which YOU are responding to:

"I am typically a strictly black coffee with as little sugar as possible, but I think for Christmas, I think I want to try roasting a Cinnamon, a peppermint, and maybe just a classic Hazelnut... for fun."

I am trying to experiment with flavours. I enjoy my roasts. I love my single origin already, and I want to experiment. I have tried Many single origin coffees since that's how I began my roasting journey 2 years ago. I've experimented with continental blends (beans from around, for example, Africa or South America). I have also experimented with cross continental blends and I enjoy my coffee thoroughly. I have experimented with different brewing methods... currently I enjoy very much enjoying my french press and a good espresso.

I can only assume you didn't want to read the post due to it's enormous size, or simply get bored reading other people's opinions so you assume what they say and pay no attention to what they actually do say. However, maybe next time you can either answer the question proposed or if you have nothing to add to the conversation, go to another post. Clearly you couldn't help yourself... but maybe you should have. Had I wanted an opinion on whether I should flavour or not I wouldn't be a member of a website called COFFEE SNOBS. I realize straight coffee is just fantastic, but like I have stated before in this response, I would like to experiment with flavouring my roasts.

Now, do you have any tips, or just more non-topical banter?

Comment

Originally posted by WiredArabica View Post
                        I recall watching a video of a WBC competition on youtube a while back, in which one of the contestants signature drink for the event was a shot pulled through some spices placed on a muslin cloth suspended above the demitasse.
                        I forget the exact mixture but iirc it contained star anise and a couple of other things. I've been meaning to try something like this myself - I like espresso, I like anise, only makes sense to try the two together!
                        Must try and find that clip again.
                        that sounds pretty interesting.

Comment

That's a good idea. I'm roasting a pound up this weekend and maybe I will split it up in quarters and try something like that.

Comment

Hey Andy,

That's a good idea. I'm roasting a pound up this weekend and maybe I will split it up in quarters and try something like that.

Comment

I know a barista who adds spices ( ground cinamon, chilli, cocoa , etc ).. to the PF before tamping and extracting.
                              I tried the chilli, and found it "interesting " !!

Comment

Working...
                              X