Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hawaii Kona Kaipo? Tips and advice for a Behmor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Kona Kaipo? Tips and advice for a Behmor.

Just wondering if anyone has done a roast of the Hawaii Kona Kaipo from last month's BeanbBay?
    At $45.50/kg, I would certainly appreciate any advice for a Behmor profile roast.

I intend to go small in quantity for the obvious reasons and at this stage, thinking of trying 200gms at the 1/2 P5 D and watch it like a hawk!
    I don't want to go any smaller as my experience with the Behmor seems to roast more consistently with a fuller cage. (ie: 350gms)

Andy's notes in BeanBay say it is an "easy bean to roast". A CS10 perhaps for an espresso?

Any thoughts/input appreciated.
    Kevo

I've no experience with this exact bean but most Kona's are best pulled prior to 2nd crack.

Java "Not in the tropics!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Hey Kevo,
      $45 a kilo sounds a lot but keep in mind that the 200g of green in your roaster costs about the same as a couple of takeaway coffees... remembering that will help take some of the stress out of roasting it!

It is an easy bean to roast, maybe the easiest roast you have ever done.

CS9 I would suggest, it's a lower density bean (most island coffee tends to be as a rule of thumb) and as such the roast will progress faster than "normal" for the same heat application.

Taking a softer bean into CS10 range will give you more chance of ending with some ashy taints, at CS9 this one shines!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
        Hey Kevo,
        keep in mind that the 200g of green in your roaster costs about the same as a couple of takeaway coffees... remembering that will help take some of the stress out of roasting it!

at CS9 this one shines!
        Gee! Thanks Andy, feeling more relaxed already!
        Matter of fact, I think I'll head on out and do it NOW!

A CS9 it (hopefully) will be.
        Thanks Andy (and Javaphile)

Breathe in... breathe out... breathe in..... breathe out. Forget that, and attaining enlightenment (or a great roast) will be the least of your worries!

Comment

I don't use a Behmor to roast my coffee but like what Andy said Kona is an easy bean to roast. After the first attempt you wont even worry about the price per kilo.

Chris

Comment

Working...
          X