Bits of chaff still in coffee grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bits of chaff still in coffee grounds

I've been home roasting for a while now and no matter what I do I can't get rid of the small bits of chaff still left on the beans.

I roast using a popper so that could be why there are still bits of chaff left, maybe with a proper home roaster roasting the beans more slowly, it would get rid of the chaff better but my popper roasts in about 5 mins and although most of the chaff comes off when i shake the beans in a collander, there's always the slightest bit left stuck in the bean. When i grind i notice small amounts of grounded chaff still there going into the portafilter.

Is there a way of getting rid of the little bits of chaff completely?

So far I've been passing my roasts between two colanders a few times in front of a fan which seems to get most of it, but I'm curious to hear if there's a better way too.

Comment

Hi Karl,
      don't get too worried about it. It won't add to the taste and really doesnt matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
        Hi Karl,
        don't get too worried about it. It won't add to the taste and really doesnt matter.
        Thanks Andy. I'm not too worried about it as I haven't noticed any problems with having the bits there, just wondered if there was an easy way to get rid of them. From what i've seen on youtube, everybody seems to get a bit of chaff stuck there using poppers !

Comment

My favourite professional roaster sometime has chaff still on the beans.
          I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
          X