Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behmor and extension cord

Hi,

I just picked up a new Behmor roaster and noticed the tag on the cord that says not to use an extension cord. I was wondering if there was an issue with this in Australia, or whether this pertained to North America? The manual appears to be a modified version of the US one and I know that extension cords have more of an impact on their 110v system.

I only want to run a 1 metre extension cord.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Hello Paulau, I don't think you should be too concerned about an extension lead. In the US they run on 110 - 115 volts, and sometimes the local supply can be a bit lower still. This means that for the same wattage they are drawing more than twice as much current as we would here in Oz. It is this high current which increases the voltage drop in the lead, and reduced power at the appliance. The loss is also proportional to the length of the lead, so the shorter it is, the less effect it will have. One meter would have virtually no effect at all.

For the same reason, using an extension lead to slow down popper roasts is not very effective unless you use a VERY long lead with small diameter conductors.

Cheers, Leo.

Comment

Hi Paulau!
      Most of the time manufacturers have in mind a "long" extention cord. If you used the roaster on a 25m cord, there will be a big power loss in the cord, the power available at the end of those 25m could be insuficient to safely run the appliance and may damage electric components (and void the warranty). No risks with a 1 or 2m cord all safe...

Comment

I have monitored my power voltage supply continually since I purchased my Behmor and the results are amazing. The maximum power encountered was 254.6 volts and the lowest has been 249 volts. I would say that the average would be around the 252 volt mark as I have not actually recorded my findings.

With this in mind, I contacted Behmor and asked if using an extension chord could possibly be beneficial in my case as the time I was experiencing between 1st crack and 2nd crack was almost zero and 1st crack seemed to roll on straight into 2nd crack. Joe Behm said that my enquiry was a first for him and after some consideration, seemed to think using an extension chord could be beneficial. He told me that quite often they are forced to use extension chords at trade shows and he has not experienced too many problems.

I tried this on my very last roast, and, I would say that it slowed the time between 1st crack and 2nd crack considerably. And it was by far my best roast in the Behmor. I used 300grams, 1lb, P2 and cooled at the very first sounds of 2nd crack. From memory there was about 6 minutes to go when I hit cool.

Comment

Behmor and extension cord

I definitely found that using an extension lead was a problem. Even extending roasting times to the maximum, all of my roasts were under-done.
          Never fear. I found a simple solution. The Behmor has several voltage settings. I simply changed the voltage setting from 240v to 230v. Now roasting times are pretty well spot on!
          Good luck with your setup.

Comment

Behmor and extension cord

Forgot to say, I was using a good quality heavy duty 10m lead. I measured the voltage as only dropping 1v across the lead, but I still had problems with roasting times.

Comment

Re Extension Lead

Originally posted by njkeng View Post
              Forgot to say, I was using a good quality heavy duty 10m lead. I measured the voltage as only dropping 1v across the lead, but I still had problems with roasting times.
              If you were only dropping one volt in the lead, it seems unlikely that it was causing the problem.

Was that measured under load or no-load ??

Comment

Originally posted by deegee View Post
                If you were only dropping one volt in the lead, it seems unlikely that it was causing the problem.

Was that measured under load or no-load ??
                How do you measure the voltage under a load.

I have measured the voltage at the end of the chord and it's the same as the power point, however, I'm assuming that when the machine is operating some power would be lost within the chord.

Am I on the right track or not. I want less power not more.

Comment

Originally posted by Divey View Post
                  How do you measure the voltage under a load. Am I on the right track or not. I want less power not more.
                  You measure the voltage while the machine is running. And with a roaster it would need to be while the heater element was on full or high. Under no-load there will be very little voltage drop, but it will be higher under load with current flowing. How much higher depends on how much current, and the quality of the lead.

I don't believe that extension cords have much effect in Australia compared to the USA, but the Behmor does seem to be rather sensitive to line voltage, so it is possible that it may make more difference to it than it would to something like a popper.

So you are on the right track, and it could be that it will make some difference. However, if the Behmor has multiple voltage settings as mentioned above, and if you can set it to a higher voltage than it is at present, this would probably have more effect than any extension cord would.

Comment

Without getting too technical, you could check it under load by plugging in the machine to a double GPO wall power outlet.
                    Connect your measuring probes into 1 outlet and plug the machine the other outlet and turn it on.
                    Take note of the voltage with no load, (machine off ) then under load with the machine on.

Then compare it to using an extension lead.

Place a double adapter at the end of the extension lead. Connect your measuring probes into 1 outlet on the double adapter and plug the machine into the other outlet on the double adapter.
                    Take note of the voltage with no load, (machine off ) then under load with the machine on.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by fg1972 View Post
                      Without getting too technical, you could check it under load by plugging in the machine to a double GPO wall power outlet.
                      Connect your measuring probes into 1 outlet and plug the machine the other outlet and turn it on.

Then compare it to using an extension lead.

Place a double adapter at the end of the extension lead. Connect your measuring probes into 1 outlet on the double adapter and plug the machine into the other outlet on the double adapter.

Hope this helps
                      That's a bloody good idea.

*Divey rummaging through everything looking for a double adapter.

Comment

Hey FG you must be a mind reader.

After I posted I was thinking that I should have mentioned a "how-to" with a double adapter, but you really nailed it for me. Very clear & concise.

Comment

Very pleased with 'the little experiment'.

253.6 V measured at a double power outlet.
                          252.2 V at the end of the extension chord.
                          247.9 V at the double adapter whilst the Behmor was running.

I'm pretty pleased with that. A drop of 5.7 volts should be enough to assist me.

Comment

Divey I don't normally run mine with an extension cord but we did do the same experiment, we have 249 volt at the power point and with the Behmor running using a 3 metre extension cord there was only a drop of 1 volt.

Comment

Originally posted by njkeng View Post
                              I definitely found that using an extension lead was a problem. Even extending roasting times to the maximum, all of my roasts were under-done.
                              Never fear. I found a simple solution. The Behmor has several voltage settings. I simply changed the voltage setting from 240v to 230v. Now roasting times are pretty well spot on!
                              Good luck with your setup.
                              Hi njkeng, so setting the roaster to 230v helped? I have sometimes been having trouble getting to 2nd crack on 400g roast due to colder weather here. Does setting it to 230v give it more oomph? Also could let me put 450g to roast maybe?
                              Or anyone else tried this? Have been scouring behmor posts for this.
                              Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X