Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stones 'n stuff I've found in coffee...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stones 'n stuff I've found in coffee...

    In the last two years I have found a couple of stones in CS greens and this week I found a spare metal zipper tag
    The zipper find is a first, I've not seen any of those floating around in the bags but anything is possible with a raw product.

    ...which is why every green bag says on the sticker:

    NOTE: This is a raw product direct from coffee origin and could contain
    foreign objects that you would prefer not to come in contact with your
    coffee or coffee making equipment. Please process with care.


    I'm glad you found it before tossing them into the grinder!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Andy View Post
    The zipper find is a first, I've not seen any of those floating around in the bags but anything is possible with a raw product.

    ...which is why every green bag says on hte sticker:

    NOTE: This is a raw product direct from coffee origin and could contain
    foreign objects that you would prefer not to come in contact with your
    coffee or coffee making equipment. Please process with care.


    I'm glad you found it before tossing them into the grinder!
    This is another recurring subject, found a stone in my green beans (shock horror) checking is no big deal, you get a number of opportunities to do this throughout the roasting process, when weighing out the beans, while tipping the beans into your roaster, in my Coretto during the roasting process, in the bean cooler and the last line of defence as you tip your beans into the grinder hopper, you simply need to keep your eyes open.

    Over a few years I've probably found 8 or 10 foreign objects while roasting, and as far as I know have never had one pass through my grinder, I said it before, this time I'll shout it, KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN.
    Last edited by Yelta; 7 February 2013, 12:16 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Yelta View Post
      This is another recurring subject, found a stone in my green beans (shock horror) checking is no big deal, you get a number of opportunities to do this throughout the roasting process, when weighing out the beans, while tipping the beans into your roaster, in my Coretto during the roasting process and finally in the bean cooler, you simply need to keep your eyes open.

      Over a few years I've probably found 8 or 10 foreign objects while roasting, and as far as I know have never had one pass through my grinder, I said it before, this time I'll shout it, KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN.
      Good advice to KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN before dumping beans into your grinder. Last week I had just finished a roast of Indian Mallayanagiri Geisha and was tipping them into a valved coffee bag when I noticed a foreign object. It was about the size of a half pea and appeared to be a piece of hard baked clay like a brick chip or similar. It made me shudder to think what it would have done to the grinder. Luckily its the first foreign object I've found so far but has now put me on alert to carefully check any beans before they go into the grinder.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000217(1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	733621

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
        Good advice to KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN before dumping beans into your grinder. Last week I had just finished a roast of Indian Mallayanagiri Geisha and was tipping them into a valved coffee bag when I noticed a foreign object. It was about the size of a half pea and appeared to be a piece of hard baked clay like a brick chip or similar. It made me shudder to think what it would have done to the grinder. Luckily its the first foreign object I've found so far but has put me on alert to now carefully check any beans before they go into the grinder.
        Most of the stones I've found have been fairly soft material, and I suspect would pass through a grinder unnoticed, however a couple have been granite, these would certainly be difficult for the average grinder to digest.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Yelta View Post
          Most of the stones I've found have been fairly soft material, and I suspect would pass through a grinder unnoticed, however a couple have been granite, these would certainly be difficult for the average grinder to digest.
          It could have been worse... two days ago I came across a disposable lighter in a bag of AAA grade beans from Tanzania. Would have been very interesting if it had gone into my drum roaster but the old Mark I Eyeball caught it just in time.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Vinitasse View Post
            It could have been worse... two days ago I came across a disposable lighter in a bag of AAA grade beans from Tanzania. Would have been very interesting if it had gone into my drum roaster but the old Mark I Eyeball caught it just in time.
            As an aside... it makes you wonder if the AAA grading means all that much

            Comment


            • #7
              It might have been an AAA grade lighter.

              Comment


              • #8
                Nice!,

                I'll see the lighter and raise with a drop (imitation) pearl earring.

                Thanks CS destoner

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Vinitasse View Post
                  It could have been worse... two days ago I came across a disposable lighter in a bag of AAA grade beans from Tanzania. Would have been very interesting if it had gone into my drum roaster but the old Mark I Eyeball caught it just in time.
                  May have been a batch of beans that were originally destined for the local Tanzanian market - "comes with bonus lighter" - for that wood fired roast

                  Roasting coffee African style - YouTube

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                    Nice!,

                    I'll see the lighter and raise with a drop (imitation) pearl earring.

                    Thanks CS destoner
                    Hmmmm... it would seem that the Fair Crack dividend is paying off for the locals.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Had a dried corn kernel the other day - popcorn in the corretto! There's a reversal if ever I saw one!
                      Matt

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Good one Vinitasse! Well spotted, did it still have fluid in it?

                        When I was in vineyards the worst MOG (material other than grapes) story I heard was of a bicycle being tipped out
                        of a fruit bin, with the grapes, into the hopper of a big crusher. I made people at vintage time empty their shirt pockets;
                        glasses, medication, cigarettes, telephones, ipods............

                        After seeing some commercial roasters collections of 'foreign objects' nothing much would surprise me.
                        Other than steel (nuts, bolts, nails, wire) the worst I have seen is bits of plastic from the cherry picking
                        buckets which have actually gone through a roast. Anyone for notes of slightly melted bucket?! That and
                        a really mean looking, very hard black stone about the shape and size of a roasted coffee bean.

                        Corn pops up from time to time in my collection :-0
                        Last edited by chokkidog; 7 February 2013, 06:21 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It was about one third full... and I wonder what it would have done when heated to 220 degrees and being tumbled around with my beans.

                          And... speaking of MOG... at one of the vineyeards I worked at the mechanical harvester would dump 1.5 blackbirds per tonne into the crusher destemmer... just added to "le gout de la terroir" I guess

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post
                            Had a dried corn kernel the other day - popcorn in the corretto! There's a reversal if ever I saw one!
                            Matt
                            Yep, I've found a few corn Kernels from time to time, someone on this forum (may have been Andy) once commented the same equipment is used to process both corn and coffee.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              two days ago I came across a disposable lighter
                              Wow, far better to find that before you roasted it!

                              it makes you wonder if the AAA grading means all that much
                              You have more chance of getting something odd like that in a AAA grade than in a B grade coffee.
                              Why?
                              AAA is all the beans that didnt go through the largest #20 screen.
                              B grade had to fit through a #20, #19, #18, #17, #16, #15, #14 size screens and your lighter wouldnt do that.


                              I'll see the lighter and raise with a drop (imitation) pearl earring.
                              WIN.
                              That's a good score and far better than the false tooth I heard about a few months ago.

                              someone on this forum (may have been Andy) once commented the same equipment is used to process both corn and coffee.
                              Yep, it was me but not process, it was bag/pick/collect...

                              Originally posted by Andy View Post
                              I find corn (popped and unpopped) in the cooling tray of the commercial roaster all the time from many different origins.

                              I often scratched my head wondering why it was in with the beans then one day my South American broker told me.

                              The pickers on the farms will use the same bags (often those woven white plastic bags) to pick corn, fruit, vegies and coffee depending on which picking season it is. Obviously the corn will work its way into the corners of the bags and work its way out on a following crop.

                              So as a rule, if you find corn it was the crop prior to coffee in that region.

                              Makes sense now why I find corn and why I find the white plastic strands in jute bags.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X