roasting smoke and smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roasting smoke and smell

hey everyone. i am ready to get into home roasting but i am trying to determine if i am crazy for attempting it. i live in a condo unit with no garage. i know it is probably ideal to roast in a garage because of smoke and smell. do any of you roast indoors with either the behmor 1600 or the freshroast sr500? I am not as concerned about batch size as I am about smoke. also, how bad is the smell? does it linger?

The Behmor isn't too bad provided you don't open the door until cooling cycle has finished.
    There is always going to be a smell of roasted coffee though which I quite like anyway and I find it does disappear after a day or so.
    In saying that, I'm sure if you roast indoors next to things like curtains, carpet, sofa, they would probably absorb & retain some odor for longer.
    I reckon if you do it in the kitchen or laundry areas with an open door or window for ventilation, you should be OK.

Comment

I think that a stable environment is important when roasting. It gives you a controlled environment and the ability to record your roasting stat's/notes which you can use to recreate your favored coffee. I think when you are in a environment that has variation such as wind, (aka opened door) ambient temperature etc. etc. it can make it a little harder to get the same results (only a little).
      I don't know if not having a garage is not a disability either, you could try roasting in your bathroom perhaps? Unconventional I know, but it should take away the smoke issue as most bathrooms now days have exhaust fans and being a smaller room will have less variables (temp,wind) but less space. anyway just a thought....

Comment

When I first got my Behmor I tried roasting inside and I found it got very smoky and probably unhealthy. I had the window open in a very large high celing room and the smoke was too much for me. There is a lingering smell for quite a while so if you have a sensitive landlord you might have a problem. I sit mine on a table outside the back door and that seems to do the trick for me.

Comment

Although I haven’t used it, I see that the I_Coffee Roaster has good smoke control.

I live in a unit and roast on the balcony with a popper and my neighbours have never complained.

Barry

Comment

I use the Behmor 1600 at home, and have found that as long as you allow the cooling process to finish, then smoke will be kept at a minimum.
            I love the smell of freshly roasted coffee, so that doesn't bother me.
            Unfortunately it doesn't linger for too long!
            However I have found that leaving a window open to help dissipate the little smoke there is helps.
            If it bothers you, try the shed or as has been suggested the balcony/porch if you have one.
            Let me know how you get along.
            Craig.

Comment

The Behmor will trigger smoke alarms in rooms nearby to the kitchen, where I roast. But this is simply avoided by keeping doors closed.

Mine sits on a board over the hotplates and under the rangehood where most of what little smoke emanates is sucked away.

The smell disappears within minutes. Even though the rangehood fan is switched off immediately the cooling cycle ends.

Comment

I use an I-Coffee roaster in the kitchen of my apartment. It has an afterburner to prevent smoke. It produces zero smoke while roasting. When you open the lid to get the beans out for cooling, there is a momentary puff of smoke so I normally switch the rangehood on at that point and while the beans are cooling. It does give the kitchen a fairly mild roasted coffee smell for an hour or two which I actually quite like. It isn't a strong smell, I guess it is similar strength to the smell you get from baking bread or making popcorn. Normally I roast in the evening and when I get up the next morning you can't smell anything.

Comment

I have all things coffee in my study. Green beans, Roasted beans, Coffee machine, Grinders and Behmor roaster.
                  I roast with the windows open and the door closed. There is a smell and often some smoke ranging from very little to ocasionally a lot.
                  If I roast too far there is a lot of smoke and I open the door during the cooling cycle to speed thing along which means the room ends up with a fair amount of smoke in it.
                  The language is generally thicker than the smoke. Fortunately this does not happen often.
                  I think MEATCLEAVER101's suggestion of using the bathroom with the exhaust fan on is a great idea.

Comment

I use the FZ-RR-700 roaster and absolutely love the results. I roast outside, in a sheltered area. But, I do wonder about all the smoke that I must be inhaling. Anyone know about health issues?

Cheers

Jeremy

Comment

Roasting coffee smells like BBQ'ing corn on the cob which is not really an offensive smell (to most..) however it may soon bother you if its done indoors with shut windows/doors. If it does try so on the balcony, having fans on, or opening the windows. Just be wary of complaining neighbors though or just let them know out of courtesy that you're roasting coffee which they usually appreciate and ignore because they know whats going on.

Comment

I love roasting my own coffee. I have a problem in my own world in that I have someone in the household with significant respiratory issues. I don't smoke any more, and I really don't know the difference in the amounts of carbon monoxide generated one to another. I figure it's worth pointing up though simply because you're literally inhaling unfiltered ashed plant material into your lungs ... and those of your family. I guess for me, it's far simpler to protect the ones I love (and myself to a lesser extent) by roasting out of doors. In nuclear power and handling of materials related: Dilution is the solution. I have to think its a bit like that here - especially since you have the choice.
                        VBR, and good roasting!
                        -Chris

Comment

Working...
                        X