My upside down bean cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My upside down bean cooler

I decided that the fan on my bean cooler was working the wrong way around- trying to suck hot air DOWN.

And Ceiling fans are not easily (or at all ) able to be reversed... so..

I figured by inverting the fan, the hot air rising would be more effective PLUS the left over chaff would be separated from the beams more effectivey.

So i mounted the fan upside down and made a stiff cardboard ring about 70mm high to make a platform for the sieve to sit on ( i had been careful to get a sieve with the same diameter as the fan)

I gaffer taped the rsiser in place.

The end result aint that pretty but it is WAY more effective at cooling the beans- they are usually ok to touch with a minute and i transfer them into a bag within 2 minutes.

It also helps a lot with chaff separation.

BTW All of this setup and my Behmor are in an open air carport so i dont need to worry about smell or chaff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bean cooler fan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	754489

Yeah. I turned my fan over the other way a while back. Quite happy with it.
    Based on various posts from others, I built my primary bean cooler back in December 2011.
    Plastic tub and fan from hardware store (less than $30 for the 2), cut an exact hole in the lid and mount the fan in place and you have a very effective cooler.
    I am using an older jerry built cooler for my 2nd cooler at present, but I am about to source a 2nd sieve to complete my 2nd cooler soon.
    Attached Files

Comment

You're lucky, I tried that with mine after being disappointed that even the small bits of chaff weren't getting sucked through the mesh screen. The fan was running, I dumped the 700g batch on and almost half the beans blew straight up in the air!

Comment

Originally posted by prloring View Post
        You're lucky, I tried that with mine after being disappointed that even the small bits of chaff weren't getting sucked through the mesh screen. The fan was running, I dumped the 700g batch on and almost half the beans blew straight up in the air!
        Not surprised, if the fan is running the way it should, is getting plenty of air and your using an open mesh sieve you got exactly the result I would have expected.

Comment

the fan is a bit gutless so that's why I needed to do it in the first place.

Comment

Working...
          X