New sample roaster advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New sample roaster advise

Been a while since I've needed to ask for buying advice! heh. I'm after a roaster that can give me 100-200g batch sizes, is moderately consistent (roast flaws are okay, as long as its hardly noticeably, and the flaw is consistent across each batch) and doesn't need to be plumbed in. Ideally i'd jump on a new or used Quest M3 but they're few and far between. Price range between $1000-2000.

Anyone got any suggestions? How do some of the sub $1k home roasters do? Looking to use this roaster as a sample roaster for no more than a year, look after it well and re-sell it here when I'm done.

Hi Zaneus,
    Have a look here at the Behmor Roaster on Bean Bay.
    CS has sold many of these they do a great job.
    There is also a lot of information on the site about them.
    I think you will fins it ticks all the boxes you are looking for.
    Craig.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigDavey View Post
      Hi Zaneus,
      Have a look here at the Behmor Roaster on Bean Bay.
      CS has sold many of these they do a great job.
      There is also a lot of information on the site about them.
      I think you will fins it ticks all the boxes you are looking for.
      Craig.
      The Behmor is a winner, some people even roast commercially (myself included) on them and they do a great job. Cheap as chips, too!

Comment

how many kg a week would you be doing commercially through this? Im just curious as to what this roaster actually can do. Ive heard good things but ive never looked into it deeply (until now i guess).

Comment

Originally posted by Zaneus View Post
          how many kg a week would you be doing commercially through this? Im just curious as to what this roaster actually can do. Ive heard good things but ive never looked into it deeply (until now i guess).
          Over the period of MICE for example we used one machine and put somewhere between 10 and 15 kg through it during the 4 days, it didn't skip a beat, and we didn't stress it once. We just piled the roasted beans on top of each other, the roast consistency there for all to see.

As you know CS sells green beans as well and I know of many CS's that have put hundreds and hundreds of KG through their Behmor. For the price it is unbeatable. (now I sound like a salesman!)
          Fact is the truth wins

Comment

Consider a real sample roaster, like a Coffee Pro 100. They are outstanding. http://www.coffeeroasters.com.au/pro...ample-pro-100/

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM View Post
              Consider a real sample roaster, like a Coffee Pro 100. They are outstanding. http://www.coffeeroasters.com.au/pro...ample-pro-100/
              How many of those do you get for sub $2000 James?

Comment

Andy, indeed, I missed that bit... Almost double that price in fact! Sorry!

Comment

a "real" sample roaster is definitely on the cards but i dont quite have the space of budget for one this year, got a lot going on! As i said this purchase is really only for tiding me over until i can get a more permanent solution and i plan on re-selling this roaster in a year or so.

Comment

My son has a Behmor.
                    His roasts are fantastic and the closest, in quality, to to any commercial drum roaster I've had.
                    He does all my cupping roasts.
                    I would happily use a Behmor, for a sample roaster, sitting alongside my HG.

Comment

I believe a Hottop is also currently within your $ range, since there has been a price drop

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM View Post
                        and cheap too @ $0.0 according to the page!

Comment

These are great sample roasters:
                          http://www.coffeeroasters.com.au/pro...offee-roaster/

Within your budget as well.

Comment

I've been using a Gene Cafe for just over 2 years.

The ability to fine tune roasting time and temperature is fantastic. It's these 2 features that led me to get the GC over the Behmor.

A few qualms

1. The temperature is controlled by an simple thermostat, so temperature control isn't as tight as it could be (you could PID it if you had the expertise)
                            2. The thermometer is at the vent, so may not necessarily reflect bean mass temperature.

On the whole, I get pretty good roasts from it. It certainly doesn't have the consistency and even-ness of a professional roasting machine, but then again you're barely paying 1/4 of the price.

Cheers
                            Sing

Comment

Working...
                            X