Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee bags vs Friis

Very new and so many questions....
    firstly can you, or does anyone reuse the foil stand up coffee bean bags with a valve bought on bean bay? Wondering if I can get more than one use out if them?
    Secondly, I scored a Friis canister thing for my birthday.... Is anyone using these as a post roast storage container for their beans? Has the co2 filter so assuming this would work well? There is a stainless steely smell inside it, and i wouldn't want the smell to affect the beans.... Maybe this will disappear after a roast or two? If opinion is positive, I'd be keen to buy a couple more of these.....more sustainable if bags are a single use item.
    Thanks

I've still got some bags from my very first purchase of beanbay. Put the beans in a snap lock bag first, before putting them in the valve bag, to save on cleaning.

Can't comment on the tin, maybe the same strategy?

Comment

I re-use the foil bags by utilising a method first posted here some time ago.
      Buy a pack of the small size freezer bags.
      Line the foil bag with the freezer bag.
      Put your roasted coffee in.
      Your choice to seal or not - I do not. When you use the coffee, the freezer bag is chucked out and the foil bag should have no residue inside. I have bags in my collection that have easily done 20 cycles. Of course, they don't last forever, but I am happy to re-use them in this way for my own purpose.

If you do want to seal the bag, then you will probably need an impulse sealer to get the best results for re-use. You need to seal the bag high and carefully cut it open when required. Each re-seal will of course take you closer to the zip lock and when you reach that, sealing days are over. You will probably get 5 or 6 uses from a bag like this.

As for the Friis, I also have one that was given to me. The concept is the same as the bag and uses exactly the same one way valves that the bags do.
      I tried using the Friis a few times, but I was not happy with the residue left inside the canister, and I find the light weight of the canister means it is not easy to open one handed (which I like to do as I am usually multi-tasking when making coffee. So for the Friis, the concept is OK, but I don't think the execution is quite there for my money.

Brett.

Comment

I use the one-way valve bags just as they are . When empty I soak in hot water for a while, then give them a wash....just fill them partially with washing up water, hold along the opening and shake up and down a few times, repeat until can't smell coffee oils in bag.

Comment

I do the same as BOS. A drop of washing up detergent, fill with hot water and forget about them for a few hours or a day.
          Rinse, then wipe out with new or clean cloth, leave them on there side open to air dry.

The only time i have had to discard a bag is when the ziplock stop working from so many openings and closings.

Comment

+1 to washing the bags.
            I normally accumulate 5 or 6 used bags, then just soak them in warm light soapy water and a bottle cleaning brush to lightly scrub the insides.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. I washed a bag out last night so will see how it goes. I just figured that the valve thing in the bag (which i see has some paper filter part) wouldn't work if it was washed? (on the Friis container they recommend changing filter every 2 months.....)
              I've also attempted to 'season' the Friis canister with some old supermarket beans i had laying around from my old life before the behmor. I'll see if that gets rid of the smell.

Originally posted by fatboy_1999 View Post
              I tried using the Friis a few times, but I was not happy with the residue left inside the canister, and I find the light weight of the canister means it is not easy to open one handed.
              Ha! I'm off for a shoulder op in a fortnight, so i better start learning to making brews one handed now......

thanks again
              Link

Comment

Thundergod I think was the first to post the "freezer bag inside the valve bag" method, makes sense (cents!) too.

The problem with the Fris is that it traps a large volume of air in the tin each time you open it. Unless it was only packed full and then emptied into a hopper I can't really see the point of opening and reclosing it.

Valve bags allow you to get most of the air out when you reseal them.

The only time i have had to discard a bag is when the ziplock stop working from so many openings and closings.

Yep, they will have a finite life but as you found you can reuse them quite a number of times before they get too tired.

Comment

Originally posted by fg1972 View Post
                  +1 to washing the bags.
                  I normally accumulate 5 or 6 used bags, then just soak them in warm light soapy water and a bottle cleaning brush to lightly scrub the insides.
                  And another one here.

As to the valve, I'm not sure what the internal element in them is (paper or plastic) but the vast majority of the residue is below the level of the valve in any case, so if you're concerned you can just fill it to the bottom of the valve.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy_1999 View Post
                    I re-use the foil bags by utilising a method first posted here some time ago.
                    Buy a pack of the small size freezer bags.
                    Line the foil bag with the freezer bag.
                    Put your roasted coffee in.
                    Have been doing this for a while now after seeing an old post.

I notice the bags do develop a bit of an odor even with the freezer bag lining so I tried wiping the inside with a tissue before a refill. I will definitely continue with the bag liner method and perhaps perform an occasional "soap wash".

Comment

My method for reusable containers is currently 2 old plastic flour containers (1kg each) where I've put a hole in the lid and taped on an old one way valve and away we go. Give the body a wash between beans and works a treat

Comment

Working...
                      X