Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time roaster, and it's nerve racking

Hi all, first time poster long time admirer

Looking to getting into home roasting very soon but I am hung up on a few things I'm hoping you can offer some advice with:

1. Is it a good idea to do a roasting course first? I have been looking into it and various places offer courses but not too keen on offering up my hard earned if I get the same out of scouring the forums

2. If I import a Quest M3 (240v version) and stick it in a good quality surge protector board (earthed), am I pretty much good to go? I have read through almost all the posts on here and I notice a lot of people comment on the 'bad wiring' but I think to myself, people are using these in Canada and Europe where the voltage is 230v/240v anyway? The point is, I'm happy to gamble on the warranty/servicing but not on my life!

P.s. Beanbay and this site is amazing

Thanks and *holds coffee in hand* here is to more posts to come!

just buy a behmor and oull get some beans with it. $400.00 and its designed and warrantied for 240vac.

foolproof and you will be amazed at how good yyour beans are.

Comment

Originally posted by brettreaby View Post
      just buy a behmor and oull get some beans with it. $400.00 and its designed and warrantied for 240vac.

foolproof and you will be amazed at how good yyour beans are.
      The behmor is a great system (price, reliability, support, quality etc.) no doubt.

But I'm interested in feedback for the Quest in Australia

Comment

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs Doser.

The Quest has the worst and the most dangerous wiring (with lack of insulation on internal 240v connections) that I have ever seen on any domestic roaster... full stop! This thing will NEVER get Australian approval as it is now and I doubt it has approval in any of the countries that you mention either. It has live 240v millimeters from the front face, a push too hard on one of the knobs would make the whole roaster live. If it wasn't so dangerous it would be funny just how poorly designed the one I own is.

The inverse as brettreaby said, is the Behmor 1600 that meets safety codes all over the world including Australian Standards, roasts a larger volume, has a lower cost, is easy to use and has "best bang for buck" of any home roaster on the market... which are all reasons we sell em!

As for roasting courses... I would suggest reading the home roasting sections here and then just having a go yourself. You will learn far more in a short time and understand what works and what doesn't by spending <$50 in beans and having a play.

Enjoy the journey!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
          It has live 240v millimeters from the front face, a push too hard on one of the knobs would make the whole roaster live.
          Whoa! I've been electrocuted, and it.is.not.fun.

Comment

Originally posted by axisa View Post
            Whoa! I've been electrocuted, and it.is.not.fun.
            Electrocuted!!! Wow, a post from the other side. CS is certainly the place to be

Comment

Working...
            X