removing chaff from the bean crevice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing chaff from the bean crevice?

It has been a long time since I have posted here. My old account is lost in the mists of time. Ah well. Such is life.

Work shifted and I became the 'responsible adult' at work. Coffee as a hobby has barely held on... Mainly the cost point has kept me going, sometimes even at the sacrifice of quality (yes. I roasted dirt cheap coffee and drank it before it had rested. It helped me make it through the work day. Only slightly ashamed).

The DeLonghi off freecycle (I have yet to find the advertised fault in the machine) has also made me a bit lazier about the machine side of things - my attention is now exclusively on the roasting (little that goes on).

Enough back-story - now to the point:

I know it's best if I roast and let it rest for a week or so sealed before grinding and drinking.

In two years of roasting, I haven't ever found out empirically myself or from anyone else's comments just how important it might be to get the chaff out from the crevice in the beans post-roast, or how one might best go about doing that.

I know that if I roast darker or longer, most of the chaff pops itself out.

Caveat: I understand that most CSers roast in Correttos or poppers and my stove top roasting doesn't necessarily provide the agitation that those set-ups offer. If that is the answer to removing the chaff, then there it is. If there is a post-roast answer, that's what I'm after.

Cheers,
    David

Originally posted by ddthiel View Post
    In two years of roasting, I haven't ever found out empirically myself or from anyone else's comments just how important it might be to get the chaff out from the crevice in the beans post-roast, or how one might best go about doing that.
    Hi David, to answer your question... it ain't important at all so stop stressing! Leave that little bit of chaff where it is, brew as per usual and enjoy. If anything, the chaff will just add a hint of additional complexity to the brew but, for most palates, the impact would be negligible.

Comment

My Gene Café seems to clean the beans fairly well, and I shake them in a slotted colander to get rid of the loose stuff. Other than that I've never been bothered to clean further. I only do this to reduce the mess in the storage bags.

Interestingly, it was only last week as I was washing the chaff down the sink that I noticed a very faint honey smell when using hot water. I can't see this having any significant negative effect if left on the beans.

Greg

Comment

Maybe it's that I'm roasting a touch lighter now, but my Gene tends to leave more chaff on the bean than my i-coffee used to (and still does after pulling it out of the shed yesterday). As my cooling routine involves the two collander shuffle, before going onto the bean cooler, most of it disappears anyway.
        Last edited by Barry O'Speedwagon; 14 July 2013, 01:03 PM. Reason: can't spell on Sundays...against my lack of religion

Comment

Is this a normal level of chaff, these are India Elephant hills Peaberry, from the Behmor this afternoon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373780352.007295.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	734571

Comment

Jonathan, that seems to be a bit more than I usually end up with - looks to be a lighter roast than I go for as well, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ddthiel View Post
              Jonathan, that seems to be a bit more than I usually end up with - looks to be a lighter roast than I go for as well, though.
              Thanks.

Yes that was my first roast with those beans, I suspect too light. And perhaps going darker will take more chaff off.

Comment

I was using my popper previous weekend and the behmor this passed weekend.

I noticed my behmore produced 2 batches of beans that were very clean compare to the popper even though the popper were roasting pretty dark I still had chaffs stuck on the beans.

Could a longer slower roast of the behmore just gave them longer to pop the chaffs off? (Seems logical I guess)

Comment

Working...
                X