Newbie needs advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needs advice

Hi All. I need some help with roasting some Ethiopan Gambella. I am using a Behomor and have had good success with the other 2 beans I have roasted, Peruvian organic and Tanzania Machare Estate. I read how the Ethiopian would need a lower and slower heat application and that they have a really long first crack. I assume the Behomor only has set programs and you can't manually adjust? I selected 1/2 lb on P4 which appeared to have a slower heat application. I normally wait until a bit into second before hitting cool depending on how the colour of the bean is looking ( I like a darker roast). The beans appeared reasonably dark early into first crack, but I let them go for a while before cooling as first crack was still quite rapid. I left it too long and the beans are very dark and oily (I guess burnt). I should have cooled earlier but first crack appeared nowhere near finished. My question is, are these beans suitable for the pre-programmed set up of the Behmor? Is the heat too hot, or should I have just cooled earlier? I like what I've read about these beans and would love to get some success, any ideas> Steve

Lots of discussions about it here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/cup-tastin...tml#post378317

Java "Up over there" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Cheers. Will check it out.

Comment

Just checked my notes and I've done several 200gm roasts of the Ethiopian Gambella Sundried.
        They were all done on 1/2 P2 B and ranged from CS8 to CS10 depending on when I hit "cool".
        I really like this bean and also use it a lot in blends.

Comment

Working...
        X