Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decaf Wow Roasting Tips in a Behmor

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Decaf Wow Roasting Tips in a Behmor

    I have tried roasting it with the following specs:

    440 grams, 1 Pound setting, P2, B

    After first crack, it settled into quite a vigorous first crack, ie lots of pops for nearly 1 min 40 seconds. By the 2 min mark after it began, first crack had died out, and I hit the manual cool. 2nd crack hadn't started.

    Flavour is quite unpleasant, there is a noticeable char to it.

    Interestingly, this 'recipe' gets me a great result on the Peruvian single origin (yep, before you say it I get that different beans roast differently and especially decaf, but just saying....)

    What is working for everyone else?

  • #2
    I remember getting nice roasts with a popper but now I'm getting the same as what you're describing in my Behmor...

    Maybe my tastes are just refined since I made the switch and have been all-caff-all-the-time for a while...

    Comment


    • #3
      I've done a few 300g batches of decaf wow using P1 1lb. A strong rolling 1C as you describe, then I get a 20-40 seconds break and pull it about 10 seconds into 2C, around 12-13 mins, but I'm afraid I'm not much of a logger so I can't be more precise than that.

      Bearing in mind I'm in Melbourne, all my roasting has been done over winter and I roast in a well ventilated (cold) garage, so if you're up north or even in Sydney then these settings are likely to be well off for you...although with a name like Melbroaster perhaps you're here too.

      The beans do come out looking seriously over roasted, but oil up over a couple of days and my wife tells me they're better than any of the decaf beans we previously got from the better roasters in Melbourne.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi,
        How dark did the beans turn out? What is the approx CS rating?
        How many days have the beans rested before tasting?
        In addition to Char taste, could you describe the flavour?
        At what time did 1C start and was your intention to stop the roast just before 2C?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by fg1972 View Post
          Hi,
          How dark did the beans turn out? What is the approx CS rating?
          How many days have the beans rested before tasting?
          In addition to Char taste, could you describe the flavour?
          At what time did 1C start and was your intention to stop the roast just before 2C?
          I'm guessing your question is to the OP, but as an fyi, these beans were roasted on the 10th. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376692735.276788.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	734703

          I normally give them 3-4 days rest, but my wife has tried then at 1-2 days without any issues. And at that early stage, not a ridiculous amount of crema.

          I'm afraid my notes are virtually non-existent so I can't tell you the exact times.

          Comment


          • #6
            And here's a shot of a shot. Maybe a tiny bit over extracted, but just a smidge. 19g in a giotto double basket.

            Tastes amazing, better than a normal shot from 95% of cafes in Melbourne. If I hadn't roasted it myself I wouldn't believe it's decaf.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376694986.753976.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	734704

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks to the OP for this thread, it's prompted me to start logging my roasts properly!

              I just did a fresh batch of Decaf Wow on the Behmor, here are the details:
              275g, 1lb, P1
              About 16 degrees ambient, Behmor warmed up first.
              1C 7:20
              R1C 8:50 - door opened at this stage
              End of R1C 10:15, but occasional cracks up to 2C
              2C 11:00
              Hit cool 11:10

              It's interesting that despite virtually no chaff, 275g green only produces 235g brown, presumably due to the moisture in the beans from the Swiss water process.

              As a side note, I grew up in Dublin and the smell in my garage after roasting decaf really reminds me of the smell of the Guinness brewery!

              Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376700745.420511.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	734705

              Comment


              • #8
                Different roaster but same beans.

                I've been roasting DeCaf in my enclosed Correto for about a year and find I need a lower finishing temperature than with my regular KJM mix.

                Roasting about 550 gms I get a very weak first crack at about 198 deg, (often only 10 - 20 cracks), and I terminate the roast at about 213 deg

                In contrast with a 550 gm KJM brew I get an initial crack at about 196 deg with a strong rolling crack at about 205. I pull the roast at just over 220 deg.

                Both roasts take about 14 minutes but I use slightly lower heat settings with the Decaf.

                I'm happy with the results but I haven't compared them to others.

                I'd be very interested in how others roast their Decaf beans.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Jonathon, thanks for the detailed replies mate. Can you describe the flavour of the roast you did below? Were you happy with it overall? Any harshness?


                  Originally posted by Jonathon View Post
                  Thanks to the OP for this thread, it's prompted me to start logging my roasts properly!

                  I just did a fresh batch of Decaf Wow on the Behmor, here are the details:
                  275g, 1lb, P1
                  About 16 degrees ambient, Behmor warmed up first.
                  1C 7:20
                  R1C 8:50 - door opened at this stage
                  End of R1C 10:15, but occasional cracks up to 2C
                  2C 11:00
                  Hit cool 11:10

                  It's interesting that despite virtually no chaff, 275g green only produces 235g brown, presumably due to the moisture in the beans from the Swiss water process.

                  As a side note, I grew up in Dublin and the smell in my garage after roasting decaf really reminds me of the smell of the Guinness brewery!

                  [ATTACH]4013[/ATTACH]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Melbroaster View Post
                    Jonathon, thanks for the detailed replies mate. Can you describe the flavour of the roast you did below? Were you happy with it overall? Any harshness?
                    I don't have the palate to pick up 5 different flavours from the beans, but definitely somewhere closer to a choc than a fruity taste in milk. As a shot it's nicely balanced with plenty of sweetness.

                    Absolutely no harshness at all, it really does come through just like a very good bean, there's absolutely no way you'd think there was anything bad about it.

                    Cheers
                    Jonathon

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Jonathon - Re: your timing, looks like your timing numbers are ascending. Is there a way to do that on the Behmor, or are you running a stopwatch in parallel?

                      In anycase, I tried reversing your numbers because when I started my 275 g roast on P1, 1 Pound, it kicked off with 18 mins to go. By the time it had 8:50 to go I heard the first pops of first crack. First crack was really rolling along by 8:10 to go. I was aiming to complete at 7 minutes to go, which would seem to be equivalent to your 11 minute roast time? By 7:10 to go I heard a snap of 2nd crack, and quickly hit Cool, but a rolling 2nd crack kicked in straight away, and it ran for about 15 seconds.

                      Was curious so pulled a shot straight away. Tasted nice, but will reserve judgement until after it has rested.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Melbroaster View Post
                        Jonathon - Re: your timing, looks like your timing numbers are ascending. Is there a way to do that on the Behmor, or are you running a stopwatch in parallel? .
                        Yes I run a stopwatch in parallel, given the different profile times on the Behmor I find it more reliable to use a stopwatch, that way I don't have to ask myself if it was a 12 or 18 minute profile.

                        Sounds like you just got into rolling second crack, so hopefully after 3-4 days your beans will be great.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Jonathon, have been enjoying your recipe for a while now, so thanks for that. Curious if you have an equivalent recipe for a 1 pound roast weight?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X