Never met a Robusta that I like.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never met a Robusta that I like.

Over the years I have been roasting I've tried numerous Robusta's in my blends.
    I've added it in concentrations from 5 to 15% I have yet to find one that does anything other than detract from an otherwise perfectly good Arabica.

I'm unsure why anyone would bother, sure there is a price difference, not enough to justify bothering with the stuff (Robusta)

Perhaps a poll will give some idea on the opinions of others.
    Do you use Robusta in your blends.
    17.39%
    5%
    8.70%
    10%
    17.39%
    15%
    4.35%
    No
    34.78%
    Sometimes
    17.39%

The poll is expired.

Hhhhhmmmmm.......I think an obvious possible answer is missing....

Java "NO!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I know people who say they like straight robusta.

Is it better than instant coffee?

Is a good robusta better than a rubbish arabica?

I must admit I have never had straight robusta of any sort.

I suppose the caffeine heads should like it

Comment

I've only had about 600g of robusta greens once and that came with the starter pack.

Only tried it on its own a few times and in milk I thought it was not too bad. I'm not into straight espressos even for good arabicas so I didn't try one straight in an espresso but I suspect it wouldn't have been very good. I blended the rest in something else and I suppose it added a fair bit of crema and a it of kick.

Its definitely better than instant. Since becoming a coffeesnob, I'd have to say I never met an instant that I like.

And I suspect a good robusta is better than a rubbish arabica. Like I mentioned above, the straight robusta I had in milk was not too bad but I've had the displeasure of trying some rubbish arabicas and they are bordering on unpalatable.

I haven't bought any robustas since and the main reason I haven't done so is because I'd use 15% max in a blend but having to roast up just to make 15% makes it a bit hard. If I roasted up 250g of arabicas, I'd have to roast 37.5g of robustas and that's just too small a batch size to reasonably roast in any roaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post

Java "NO!" phile
          It would appear that you have never tried Sethuraman Estate's Kaapi Royale Parchment Robusta. Not only is it amazing in a blend, it even stands up on its own as a Single Origin. It also happens to b the world's first "R" Certified Specialty Grade Robusta.

Comment

I think I've posted elsewhere in the Vic section on The Coffee Commission, a cafe on Little Collins St who proudly serve a robusta in their blend, they use it as a differentiator to all the other cafes around.

Apparently they used to be 100% robusta, but people found that too much, or at least the barista there told me that once. I don't know the robusta % now.

Judging by the smallish crowds they get, there isn't a big demand for a robusta blend in Melbourne CBD, although they are surrounded by some very good cafes so competition there is tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinitasse View Post
              It would appear that you have never tried Sethuraman Estate's Kaapi Royale Parchment Robusta. Not only is it amazing in a blend, it even stands up on its own as a Single Origin. It also happens to b the world's first "R" Certified Specialty Grade Robusta.
              Appearances can be deceiving. I have roasted/tasted any number of high end Robusta's and in fact have a number on-hand currently.

I never stated that I didn't/wouldn't use Robusta. I just stated that an obvious answer was missing from the poll. No. With-out that as an option for an answer the question makes no sense. The polled question is not 'How much Robusta do you use?' it is 'Do you use Robusta in your blends?'. Hence 'No' needs to be a possible answer. Either that or the question changed.

Java "Grammar what?" phile

Comment

Appearances can be deceiving. I have roasted/tasted any number of high end Robusta's and in fact have a number on-hand currently.

I never stated that I didn't/wouldn't use Robusta. I just stated that an obvious answer was missing from the poll. No. With-out that as an option for an answer the question makes no sense. The polled question is not 'How much Robusta do you use?' it is 'Do you use Robusta in your blends?'. Hence 'No' needs to be a possible answer. Either that or the question changed.

Java "Grammar what?" phile

I humbly bow to your eloquence and logic

Comment

We use Robusta in one of our blends (post roast) which I run a couple of times a year.

Good Robusta can certainly have a place in a blend to add crema and body and I have been lucky enough to have to have tried a few including Kaapi Royal which is outstanding and could definitely stand alone.

No vote from me in that there is no sometimes option

Chris

Comment

I would vote 'no' but there isn't that option.

Comment

Java "NO!" phile
                      Hmmm, your right, put the poll together without sufficient thought, obviously no and sometimes should be included in the answers
                      What's your preference people, new poll or leave it as it is?

Comment

How about I just add No and Sometimes to the list of possible choices and add 10 days to the poll.

Java " " phile

Comment

How about I just add No and Sometimes to the list of possible choices and add 10 days to the poll.

Java " " phile
                          Sounds like a good idea to me Java, go ahead and make the changes.

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                            Sounds like a good idea to me Java, go ahead and make the changes.

Thanks for the heads up.
                            I made the changes before I made the post!

Java "Spin little electron, spin!" phile

Comment

I think the poll needs to be redone.
                              • What does the first option " Do you use Robusta in your blends." signify? Just "Yes" or is it intended to be an option rather than the poll question being responded to.
                              • Doesn't 'sometimes' mean the same as yes and how would it be different to selecting a 5,10 or 15% option. For example, how would I select I sometimes like 5% blends and sometimes like 10% blends.

You really need two polls:
                              1. How often do you use Robusta in your blends? [Always, Occasionally, Rarely, Never, I only drink robusta as a single origin, What's robusta?]

and/or

2. What proportion of robusta do you usually use in your blends?
                              [0%, 5% or less, 10%, 20%, 25%, 50%, 100%, Other]

Comment

Working...
                              X