Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie using the Behmor 1600

Hi Guys
    Just though I would share my experience with this roaster. Let me start by saying when panic sets in your common sense fly s out of the window, and please don't laugh too loud !!!
    Just got my Behmor from coffee snobs and thanks for the great service too. Any way threw about 118 grams of coffee into it , hit 1/4 and away it went.
    Just after hitting the second crack I added 30 sec to it as I like a darker roast.............. well the beans caught on fire and have a guess what I did next........panicked and and opened the door !!! (yes I know the manual says DO NOT OPEN DOOR IF YOU SEE A FIRE). It just caused the fire to increase in size !!!!
    Anyway I quickly closed the door and waited for the fire to smoulder and then with some fire proof gloves ripped out the cage and through the smouldering mess under the tap.
    I was left with a a Behmor which is charcoal black on the in side. Spent the next 3 hours cleaning it and it still seems to work ok , I've done 5 roasts so far and it all seems to be ok !!
    You all can stop laughing now !!!
    Anyway the reason for my post , I've been using Peru Ceja de Selva Estate beans and I like a darker roast so after you start hearing the first of the second crack , do I wait till all the popping has totally finished before I start the cooling process or half way through it?
    Im now getting good results when roasting 450 grams on 1 pound roast - P4 but instead of pushing the minus button twice I push the + 3 times. I still want a darker roast but I don't what to burn the house down...............again.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Pissing myself laughing, haven't stopped.

Too little beans for too much heat.

I did some Peru last night, 300g on 1/P2, majority of 1st crack at about 8 minutes to go, hit cool at 5 minutes to go at the first sign of 2nd crack.

That timing would have still left plenty of time to let it go further.

What voltage do you get?

Comment

Have you stopped laughing yet ?
      Yeah its 240v. Interesting that you stop it as soon as you hear the second crack. If I did that on mine the beans are not dark enough for me. I really like the Espresso taste.
      Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I still pull espresso shots with them, make them into a latte or cap though majority of the time.

Yep I've stopped laughing :P

I have 249v minimum here, it has read over 250v as well.

It depends on the bean or blend to what depth I go, in hindsight the roast last night I should have left 20 seconds longer, ran out of beans so using them now, getting a fine grind is difficult and I've pushed the grinder 2 slots over anything else I've done.

I'm also for the first time dealing with humidity, hence the above happening, we live near the ocean now so have windows and doors open instead of having the aircon permanently on.

I'll take a photo of the beans from last night as a comparison for you
        Attached Files
        Last edited by shapeshifter; 24 November 2013, 07:32 PM.

Comment

avsv63
          Sounds like a tricky start to your roasting. Try roasting 300 to 350g on a 1lb setting this should give you plenty of time to complete your roast on P1,2,3 etc choice is yours. First crack, starts then rolls then there should be a quiet time, then will follow second crack. Listen for it carefully and hit cool. Taste your beans see if they are dark enough and have the flavour you want. If not, repeat roast and extend second crack by no more than 3 to 5 sec. Rolling cracks will be heard during your cool down. Taste again, the longer you go into second crack the greater the chance of fire in your Behmor. You maybe surprised and find that beans roasted just on or just into second crack will be just what you are after.
          good luck
          Cicarda

Comment

Just a question guys, if you find them under roasted can you put the beans back and re roast them?

Comment

He he he - kinda glad I'm not the only one who has made fire from beans! Mine was for a different reason. There's a protracted post somewhere on this forum about it. Hard to get off isn't it!

I too bought a Behmor as my first roaster and besides my little mishap it's been all good. I too struggled a bit at first. Monitoring time, colour, smell, amount of smoke etc. In the end it came down to just listening carefully. I let mine go into first crack and then prop the door open a crack with the brush to slow down the 1C to 2C time. It also helps with those beans that like to roll on from 1C to 2C without a break!

I like mine on the dark side too, but I now generally hit "cool" as soon as 2C is under way. Basically as soon as I'm convinced that 2C is well under way I hit "cool" and open the door. It'll roll on for a few seconds anyway. Letting it go into "rolling 2C" is OK but generally results in a lot more oils on the bean surface. Which is fine but tends to clog my grinder up a lot more.

As you found out - 2C doesn't peak and then back off like 1C. It just gets more frenetic until it's time to call 000!

PL

PS: I've re-roasted beans before with reasonable success. But I don't have high standards...

Comment

Thanks PLMS, I have a batch that I pulled a tad early, getting used to the popper takes some time. Might just toss them and do another lot.

Comment

Originally posted by shapeshifter View Post
                  I still pull espresso shots with them, make them into a latte or cap though majority of the time.

Yep I've stopped laughing :P

I have 249v minimum here, it has read over 250v as well.

It depends on the bean or blend to what depth I go, in hindsight the roast last night I should have left 20 seconds longer, ran out of beans so using them now, getting a fine grind is difficult and I've pushed the grinder 2 slots over anything else I've done.

I'm also for the first time dealing with humidity, hence the above happening, we live near the ocean now so have windows and doors open instead of having the aircon permanently on.

I'll take a photo of the beans from last night as a comparison for you
                  Wow thanks for your time. Looking at your photo it seems interesting that your pulling caps with them I like my beans a lot darker , but I think I need to let mine rest for a week and then test them .
                  Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by PLMS View Post
                    He he he - kinda glad I'm not the only one who has made fire from beans! Mine was for a different reason. There's a protracted post somewhere on this forum about it. Hard to get off isn't it!

I too bought a Behmor as my first roaster and besides my little mishap it's been all good. I too struggled a bit at first. Monitoring time, colour, smell, amount of smoke etc. In the end it came down to just listening carefully. I let mine go into first crack and then prop the door open a crack with the brush to slow down the 1C to 2C time. It also helps with those beans that like to roll on from 1C to 2C without a break!

I like mine on the dark side too, but I now generally hit "cool" as soon as 2C is under way. Basically as soon as I'm convinced that 2C is well under way I hit "cool" and open the door. It'll roll on for a few seconds anyway. Letting it go into "rolling 2C" is OK but generally results in a lot more oils on the bean surface. Which is fine but tends to clog my grinder up a lot more.

As you found out - 2C doesn't peak and then back off like 1C. It just gets more frenetic until it's time to call 000!

PL

PS: I've re-roasted beans before with reasonable success. But I don't have high standards...
                    Well I'm glad its just not me burning beans. Thanks for the tip and Ill try it and let you know.
                    Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X