No announcement yet.

Help. Food Act 2006

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help. Food Act 2006

    So I bought a Hottop and decided to roast some beans but when my friends started wanting to buy some I roasted for them. Recently I heard about a local market and enquired about selling my home roasted beans there - only to be told I need a business food licence to sell roasted coffee and that buy selling it to my friends, I'm in breach of the Qld Food Act of 2006!

    I don't want to go into full scale business but making a few $ while doing something I enjoy seems harmless enough...

    Any thoughts on how to roast coffee without heading down a legal mind field would be appreciated.

  • #2
    Sorry that's by not buy and mine field not mind field!


    • #3
      Welcome to CS mikejoc!

      Coffee (dry) is generally regarded as a low risk food product, however, food safety is a big issue for the general public, councils and the lawyers who get into
      litigation. To protect yourself, speak to your local council health dept and have a chat to them, they will have some guidelines and fact sheets.

      You will have to register and pay an annual fee and allow inspections.

      The sort of things the council might want are:

      * Your money.... as mentioned above....fees.

      * A dedicated space where roasting, packing and storage of product occurs, with no crossover to domestic activities.

      * Direct access ( in the same space) to hot and cold running water, for hygiene.

      * A space that can be easily and properly cleaned, some councils require lined walls and not corrugated iron like a shed.

      * Food safe work surfaces and storage containers.

      * Compliance with packaging/labelling laws.

      * Some form of food handling certificate.

      * The market you attend may require you to have public liability insurance, (some will let you ride coat-tail on theirs, for a fee) and a food handling certificate and
      proof of council registration.

      Unfortunately, selling food products is not deemed to be 'harmless' and if you want to get into the public domain you will have to comply.
      Markets get raided regularly by councils, to make sure everyone is compliant and to make sure that the council isn't missing out on any revenue.
      They are a 'soft' target for health inspectors. A market I've been going to for two years gets 'done' once a year.

      If you want to make a few dollars and not go down the formal path, just sell to people you know and don't tell the council, fly under their radar.

      But if you want to get out and about it's no big deal, certainly not a minefield, just a process ....... with some fees attached.


      • #4
        Thanks Chokkidog for the reply and the welcome to CS.

        You're absolutely right, public food and health safety, isn't harmless. Poor choice of words on my part. I appreciate the reply and what the council would be looking for in terms of compliance - thanks.

        I think I'm taken back by all of this because of the speed at which this has all happened! I got my Hottop last Tuesday, a week later I'm considering a business food application with the local council! All of this is unchartered territory for me and was simply just a hobby now it's an evacuation plan and an application fee. I haven't received a $ for anything yet.

        I think my radar cover might be blown though, I spoke to the food inspector personally today and explained my set up...

        Good thing that Hottop is going gangbusters.