Best way to roast Maui?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to roast Maui?

I am lucky enough to own a Behmor, Corretto and popcorn roaster. Can anyone offer suggestions on which of these are best for roasting the new Maui beans. Considering their cost I am being cautious. Just pulled 300g from the Behmor and they look underdone. Can,t afford to do that too often. Thanks

Graeme, you used the Behmor and 'under done' them? Did you take them to SC?

I have only done 2 roasts with the Behmor, both to start of SC and they tasted great. Don't throw them out, I suggest that you let them sit for a while before brewing, maybe even up to 10 days, Maui ages well.

View this thread for information o the Maui.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/cup-tastin...-estate-2.html

Comment

Hi Graeme
      I've done 1 batch in the corretto and it was great. Followed my baseline profile, but dropped a little early. Fraction baked - will adjust profile next time…
      Soooo, my suggestion would be for these (based on you already having a good 'baseline' general purpose roast profile) - slightly faster to 1C than a usual density bean, then slow, but drop 2-3° earlier than you would usually - tiny little suckers

And agree with smokey - try em anyway - amazing beans !

Cheers Matt

Comment

Smokey and Matt. Many thanks. Read that these beans are really hard to hear cracking, so at 300g/1/P2 and after 14 mins I probably panicked a little thinking I had missed 1c and hit cool
        Will keep my head and try again. Won't throw them out, even if they end up in the Aeropress or filter

Comment

Depending how "underdone" they are, the Maui actually works well as a filter style (as you have mentioned you will possibly try), so you could potentially brew it that way if it doesn't work for you as an espresso? Obviously it's awesome as an espresso but I have roasted this light & brewed it both for aeropress & chemex, & it's damn tasty....lots of sweetness & beautifully aromatic.
          Last edited by resonatorman; 21 February 2014, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Graeme View Post
            Smokey and Matt. Many thanks. Read that these beans are really hard to hear cracking, so at 300g/1/P2 and after 14 mins I probably panicked a little thinking I had missed 1c and hit cool
            Will keep my head and try again. Won't throw them out, even if they end up in the Aeropress or filter
            Unless it's particularly cold where you are, I suspect you had missed 1C after 14 mins of 300g/1/P2.

At those settings, in mild Melbourne weather but with a pre-heated Behmor I get 1C at roughly 10-11mins.

As others have said, leave them for at least a week, they get better in the second week. And also crank your grinder to the finest setting you normally use, then crank it finer again - these beans take my finest setting by a long way, similar to decaf.

Comment

Thanks Jonathan. Not hot, roasted today, Seymour Vic. The roast is mottled, some perfect, some dark palomino. When my techie, aka son, gets home will post a pic. Btw my gear is K3 push/Silvia. Meantime thanks to all.

Comment

Yes my recent roast was mottled too, some darker than others.

I wonder if it's a new batch - I don't remember my last Maui doing the same, I would have bought those maybe 8 months ago and my recent batch was bought about 3 weeks ago.

Comment

This is the roast
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	757.2 KB
ID:	737096

Comment

Graeme, does look a little pale in comparison to my rolling Second Crack roasted-cocoa results. I would still try to store for a while then test it, if no good with Silvia then aeropress might just bring out some awesome flavours.

I suggest your next roast be 200 gram using Behmor - P2 and 1/2 lb. Pull at very start of SC, listen very carefully for the faint FC then be hyper-vigilant for the faint SC starting soon after. Both my roasts went into rolling SC because I had trouble hearing the faintest of FC and thought SC was FC + Behmor needs the operator to be 15 seconds in front of things (I was 15 seconds behind things).

Comment

Smokey, thanks. Was that hyper-ventilate? Ha. Will give your suggestion a try this weekend and will stay alert. Cheers

Comment

Hi Graeme
                        Do you use a DMM in the corretto? I go purely off the numbers now - heard no 1C with these one, but 2C was definitely starting at 222° - so dropped it the a couple of degrees earlier than my usual 224°…

Comment

Agree, looks too light to me.

Comment

Yeah, it does appear to be a little light but agree with others above. Probably make a wonderful non-espresso brew in a week or two's time, and who knows, try pulling your shots more for a Ristretto pour and it may end up like nectar of the Gods...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                              Yeah, it does appear to be a little light but agree with others above. Probably make a wonderful non-espresso brew in a week or two's time, and who knows, try pulling your shots more for a Ristretto pour and it may end up like nectar of the Gods...

Mal.
                              Yeah, that! 'Nectar of the Gods' sounds darn nice to me, as others have said Maui tastes awesome, so give it a try ala Mal's suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                              X