Microwave roasting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microwave roasting?

Can green coffee beans be roasted in a microwave oven? What might be the result if attempted?

Doesn't work very well I'm afraid.

A few people have tried over the years but all you end up with, is nasty little greenish-brownish gems that taste nothing like coffee ought to. Might be different if you had a Convection/Microwave combo that included a rotisserie - Don't know if such things exist...

Mal.

Comment

Microwaves are useless for roasting or baking anything, that's not how they work. I reckon you could give it a fair go in a grille/convection oven. Whirlpool make a good one, I forget the model, i fixed one a few months ago and remember it had a dedicated grille/convection setting. Doubtless many other brands have similar systems.
      Use the preheat cycle as the ramp up then roast at 200-220C, might not even need the grille really. I might even give this a go in my convection oven (without a grille), could be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ax72 View Post
        Can green coffee beans be roasted in a microwave oven? What might be the result if attempted?
        Exploding beans?

I'll bet there is a video on youtube somewhere.

Comment

Thanks all for your advice, I won't try to roast in a microwave then.

Comment

Ye of little imagination. Just for giggles I'm going to 'roast' 30g of green in my microwave, using the various power functions to control the profile. I mean, why shouldn't I be able to equal or exceed the product of the collective wisdom of people who spend their life roasting the little blighters?

Comment

Sure, Barry, do let us know what happens. Perhaps you could publish a photograph of the finished product if you can please?

Comment

I'll give it a rip.....can't guarantee that I'll attempt to drink the product.

Comment

I was "roasting" a few beans in the microwave, after 30 sec. there came a lot of steam out, like far beyond second crack in the hottop roaster, anyway I stopped it and I will not try it again

Comment

Working...
                  X