Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

have Coretto, DMM and Roast Monitor software, now what does the data tell me?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• have Coretto, DMM and Roast Monitor software, now what does the data tell me?!

As new Coretto roaster armed with DMM and the CS Roast Monitor software, I now have a whole new set of data to get my head around. What is a good target range for heat gain per minute? What temp does second crack usually start at? do I need to go into SC to get smooth mouthfeels ie caramels and chocolates? any comments would be great.

And a belated welcome from me Harvo

Suggest you have a read through this thread Harvo http://coffeesnobs.com.au/home-roast...stments-6.html there's a treasure trove of information there, as there is in the rest of the Home Roasting - Tips, Tricks, Ideas forum.

All Coretto's are different so you will need to experiment to gain some experience.
    Last edited by Yelta; 6 March 2014, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Welcome to CS, Harvo!

Ditto to the above. :-)

Comment

Welcome Harvo....

Mal.

Comment

Welcome Harvo.
          I can't really comment on heat gun settings as there are lots of variables like distance of the gun from the beans, covered/uncovered corretto, batch size, ambient temperature and so on.
          In addition to the advise provided above, I can suggest you follow a profile such as this one below to get you started.
          http://coffeesnobs.com.au/home-roast...eet-graph.html
          Its a nice generic profile which I still use as a benchmark for any new beans.

Cheers

Comment

Many thanks everyone for the welcomes and tips. Always seems to be a lot of good information on offer in the home roasting community. I took the CS Colombian Volcan Galeras Supremo a bit further into SC yesterday reaching 240deg C in the process (20deg hotter than where I've been before). The beans are noticeably darker and have a sweeter smell if my nose is telling the truth. I will try some today (24hrs in) and see if the early signs are good. Love the DMM and RM combination, so interesting.

Comment

Welcome Harvo
              That's the spirit - get in there and see! There is lots of great info around - but until you start cupping it will all just remain numbers and figures
              But you will soon know what Col VGS tastes like when taken to 240 on your setup - next time try 235! That's the great thing about the DMM - it gives you a fixed reference point to work from each time. And let us know how you go!
              Cheers Matt

Comment

DMM = Digital Monitoring Mover/Monster/Micrometer meh?
                Where do you source one please?

Comment

It's in the Bean bay section under other stuff....USB data logger

Comment

DMM = digital multi meter

Very nifty and makes things a lot easier. You can see what the beans are doing temp wise easily and can (try to) replicate roast profiles.

Plus it's a well featured quality multi meter you can use as well.

You won't look back.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X