No announcement yet.

Is there a profile to minimise chaff???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a profile to minimise chaff???

Have roasted the Tanzania Mahare Estate bean to first crack in 13 minutes and let it roll for another three before cooling them. Some beans still had chaff around them that I polished of by hand whilst moving it around in the colander during the cool down phase, but I am left with beans that have so much chaff still in them that the finest setting on the Vario still produces a shot that is too fast.

Is there a profile or tricks to keep in mind that will alleviate this, i.e. do you bring them very quick or very slow to first crack, do you maintain the heat once FC has started or tone it down, do you roast always to to SC to minimise chaff ???

Any insights much appreciated, cheers, Ernie

Hi Ernie,

The stretch between 1st and 2nd crack is best at around 3.5 - 4.5 mins for most beans, in an espresso roast. If it's too fast, sour notes from the
    too fast roasting will be apparent. Some beans, Ethiopians for instance, can be good with even a 6 min stretch but you have to determine
    that with trial and error, according to your situation. Not all roasting environments will produce the same results if you apply the 'same' profile.

Your 13 min time to 1st crack is fine, 11-13 mins is a good zone to be in.

The Machare (with a c), works well at a 17.5 minute roast for me, pulled just on the cusp of 2nd crack.

Comment

I don't know the beans you are using, but mostly it is about 16 to 19 min. to the first crack and then another 2 to 4 min. to the second. like @chokkidog said, trial and error.
      which roatser are you using?

Comment

Not sure the specific profile, unless it's totally outside the norm, will have a big influence on the chaff retention. The type of beans and you roasters ability to manage the chaff is probably more relevant. e.g. Airflow, chaff collection etc.

Grahamk

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
          I don't know the beans you are using, but mostly it is about 16 to 19 min. to the first crack and then another 2 to 4 min. to the second. like @chokkidog said, trial and error.
          which roatser are you using?
          I would be pretty worried if it took 19 mins to get to first crack. Taking that long would probably lead to the beans being baked, flat, lifeless, woody and dull. This length of time would suggest that your batches are a bit too big for the heat units available so either roast smaller batches or hit them with a bit more heat. I'm with chokkidog on this one... 11-13 mins is in keeping with my experience as well.

Comment

I, too, doubt that the chaff is your problem. In my experience, the Machare tends to race a bit from 1st to 2nd crack. I use a Gene and have had some luck dropping the temp (which is a thermostat, not a measure of direct heat applied) twice rather than once after the onset of 1C. I drop 4 degrees once 1c starts, wait 30 seconds to make sure that there's no threat of baking and drop another 3 or 4 degrees. Managed to drag it out to 3min 30 or 3min 45 befor 2C.

Comment

Here's a link to the roaster Ernie built......

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/home-roast...r-roaster.html

Comment

Originally posted by ernieg777 View Post
                Have roasted the Tanzania Mahare Estate bean to first crack in 13 minutes and let it roll for another three before cooling them. Some beans still had chaff around them that I polished of by hand whilst moving it around in the colander during the cool down phase, but I am left with beans that have so much chaff still in them that the finest setting on the Vario still produces a shot that is too fast.

Is there a profile or tricks to keep in mind that will alleviate this, i.e. do you bring them very quick or very slow to first crack, do you maintain the heat once FC has started or tone it down, do you roast always to to SC to minimise chaff ???

Any insights much appreciated, cheers, Ernie
                As I asked in the Monsooned Malabar thread Ernie,

"Do you have any agitation devices fitted inside the roaster?"

Comment

Hey Ernie,

Can I respectfully suggest that you post your questions, re the different bean results, in your roaster thread for now?
                  Your questions, at the moment, relate more to the technique required to get a satisfactory result from your homemade roaster, rather than the beans.

Posting up in three different threads, about the same thing, means the context of your queries is lost.

Just an idea......:-D

Comment

Okidoki chokkidog, will do.

Just to answer Yelta, yes it has on the brass shaft two hose clamps fitted for agitation similar to the mods made to the baby roasters.

Comment

Working...
                    X