Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some questions from a newbie roaster.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions from a newbie roaster.......

Originally posted by thewpguy View Post

Firstly thank you for me coffee education which outside a well know barista book this forum has expanded my coffee horizons exponentially.

I have three questions from a total green bean novice perspective as the Tanzania batch sounds so fantastic I want to get some without even owning a roaster...yet.

1. If I were to buy some of these beans in anticipation of getting a roaster in the near future how long could I realistically store them before it was too late to roast them?
    2. What is the best way to store green beans for longevity?
    3. How are pulped beans different to others?

Thank you if you get a change to respond and sorry for asking such basic questions.
    Hi thewpguy and welcome to CS,

Noticed your questions over in the BeanBay thread so moved them over here to post up some answers.

1).... Putting the cart before the horse but I won't comment on that! Home roasting isn't for everyone but if you think it's a path you might follow then I hope you get hooked! ;-D. I've read in various threads that people will buy and store greens for up to 3 years. This follows a sort of urban myth about 3 x 3 x 3.......3 minutes for grinds, 3 weeks for roasted beans and 3 years for green beans; before staleness becomes an issue. True at the start but becomes less true with each category. ;-D

Purchasing green beans from BeanBay represents great value but at the same time we can outlay quite a sum on a stash.
    As a commercial roaster I turn over my beans about every 6 months and don't recommend keeping beans for longer than a year; as a rule.
    Some beans stored properly and undisturbed will roast well after 2 years but you won't know which ones...............

2)....There are a few references to green bean storage on this site and a quick search will give you an insight into the thoughts and experiences of different members.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/home-roast...helf-life.html

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/home-roast...n-storage.html

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-co...-question.html

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-co...north-qld.html

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/home-roast...een-beans.html

3) Pulping refers to part of the washed or wet coffee bean processing where the ripe cherry is processed in a pulping machine to remove the skin and flesh of the cherry to yield the green seeds that we call beans, which are then further processed before they are ready to roast.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...w=1632&bih=870

Ten Steps To Coffee - National Coffee Association

Coffee production - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are going to head down the home roasting path, by all means buy some Kyaurinde but I would strongly advise buying a
    bean that is more forgiving and easier to roast. Something like the Peru Cejá de Selva, Brazil or Colombian from BeanBay, so you can practice and get the hang of whichever roasting method you choose.
    Last edited by chokkidog; 17 March 2014, 12:13 AM. Reason: layout

Thank you Chokkidog this is a brilliant set of resources, I really appreciate you spending the time to do this. It will be my point of reference now to keep coming back to!

I am certain I want to roast for most of the reasons I have read in the post in this forum about why people got into roasting.

I think I will get a Behmor 1600 within the next 6 months and then get some Colombian beans ( my favourite bean for the last 2 years anyway ) to get started as you suggest rather than getting ahead of myself.
    I use about 250g / week so plan to roast enough to nett that amount each week and see how I go. No plans to stockpile and just order as I need it and experiment with some different types once I get into the groove.

Thank you again, greatly appreciated.
    Tony

Comment

Thank you Chokkidog this is a brilliant set of resources, I really appreciate you spending the time to do this. It will be my point of reference now to keep coming back to!

I am certain I want to roast for most of the reasons I have read in the post in this forum about why people got into roasting.

I think I will get a Behmor 1600 within the next 6 months and then get some Colombian beans ( my favourite bean for the last 2 years anyway ) to get started as you suggest rather than getting ahead of myself.
      I use about 250g / week so plan to roast enough to nett that amount each week and see how I go. No plans to stockpile and just order as I need it and experiment with some different types once I get into the groove.

Thank you again, greatly appreciated.
      Tony

My suggestion would be to get a sample pack of green beans and experiment with a popper. You can pick one up for about $15 from Kmart or a discount place, and it's a good way to begin to understand the phases and cut your teeth.

Comment

The green sample pack is not currently available.

Java "FYI" phile
        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I started reading about poppers and when it got to modifying it I switched off.

Is there a forum post suggesting which models to buy that you can roast simply without going to jaycar for a lot of mods?

Don't get me wrong I don't mind doing simple jaycar projects but they seemed much more involved that I had time to work on.

Thanks javafile for the heads up on the sample pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post
            The green sample pack is not currently available.
            Are you sure about that? It disappears from BeanBay after you buy it.

Comment

I used about 3 or so different ones (kmart, aldi, Sam's discounts) over 12 months or so before progressing to a Behmor. I didn't modify any. The problem with poppers is they get hot quickly and you can't play with roasting profiles (and quantity is small, so I would have two going). Modifying would help temperature etc, but I just worked within their limitations. My first investment in roasting was $10 for a popper, and $17 for a kg of green beans from my local roaster, which was still cheaper then 1kg of roasted beans. The experience helped when I jumped to a Behmor. There are a few guides around. I made a really basic one for a friend. PM if you want me to email it to you.
              Matt

Comment

Originally posted by jbrewster View Post
                I too was searching for it two weeks back and emailed Andy about it. He mentioned that a 2.5kg of a SO would pave a better learning roast route to 500gm of a variety since I'm starting out roasting myself. Having less variables for starters I suppose is good to prevent (less) confusion.

And of course, one of the best (or at least forgiving) bean recommended was the Peru Ceja de selva

Comment

Java "is correct" phile.........;-)

I have never purchased it and it is not evident on my BB window.

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                    Java "is correct" phile.........;-)

I have never purchased it and it is not evident on my BB window.
                    Fair enough. It's caused some confusion in the past.

Comment

Java "Yup! I'm sure of it!" phile
                      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I started reading about poppers and when it got to modifying it I switched off.Is there a forum post suggesting which models to buy that you can roast simply without going to jaycar for a lot of mods?Don't get me wrong I don't mind doing simple jaycar projects but they seemed much more involved that I had time to work on.Thanks javafile for the heads up on the sample pack.
                        I picked up a second hand popper for $5 on Gumtree and have been impressed with the results. Using a combination of sight, smell and timing I have been surprised at how well I can replicate results. I roast on the back verandah to let the chaff fly freely but do notice, depending on the outside temperature, that a particular roast level may take more or less time. This is when time becomes a guide and colour and smell become more important. Its certainly a great way to start learning.

Comment

Thanks everyone's help so far.

I bought a hot air popper today and have ordered some Peru Ceja de selva from Andy so in a few days I will be doing my first batch and really can't wait to taste some home roasted coffee.

Comment

Thanks everyone's help so far.

I bought a hot air popper today and have ordered some Peru Ceja de selva from Andy so in a few days I will be doing my first batch and really can't wait to taste some home roasted coffee.

Keen to hear how you go. Air poppers are a great place to get started...

Comment

Thanks for the interest mikejoc I will post my progress here.

Comment

Working...
                              X