2 stage roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 stage roast?

Anyone ever tried a 2 stage roast? I corretto roast, with an unmodified BM2100 Sunbeam and a Bosch heat gun, with a home-made cover and a multi-meter thermocouple. The other day my breadmaker temped off unexpectedly around 130deg and I couldn't get it restarted again until around 80deg. I then roasted as normal to the first snap of the second crack. Results? Best ever. I tried it again on another roast and got similar results. Is this just a fluke or does a two-stage roast give good results? Has anyone ever heard of a two-stage roast before?

Welcome Dan
    Never quite gone that far in my corretto experiments! Did you stop the gun altogether until the BM re-started? I'm impressed that you tried the same technique again to back up your findings … all in the name of science! What sort of bean weight are you using? And what sort of times were you hitting your benchmarks at?

I have certainly found that slowing my roasts in that 140-160 zone has made a difference, building some extra sweetness. But never seen a regular 'stall' roast technique like that posted here. But that's not to say it isn't a winner! Would love to see a profile if you datalog
    Cheers Matt

Comment

Sounds like classic double roasting to me...
      Re-roasting under-roasted beans - Home Roasting • Home-Barista.com
      View topic - Double Roasting :: Too Much Coffee :: The European Coffee Resource

Comment

When I first got my Baby Roaster I did a couple of under roasted batches due to it being new and the fear I had of its newness.

I looked at these beans with a feeling of sadness and thought,"bugger it" and put them in a bread maker and hit them with a heat gun, feeling that there was nothing further to lose.

It worked quite well both times and the coffee was yum.

I have since learned that fear is a useless pastime.

Comment

Matt,
          I stopped the heat gun while the BM reset (it was about 10 min). I even took the BM tin out, but kept it covered so that it didn't cool down too quickly. I wrote down some figures as I went, so I'll post them up soon.

Comment

Hi Dan. I used to have that problem with my BM Coretto quitting mid-roast and often had to resort to stirring the batch through to then end of the roast with a wooden spoon. In the end I pulled the BM apart, completely removed the circuit board and wired the motor (including the start capacitor) directly to the power cord. I used a deal of caution, and am very happy with the results.

Comment

I did a double roast with the behmor on the weekend. I was sitting next to the roaster reading a good book and missed FC, I thought it was start of SC so I pulled it. When it cooled I broke a few pale looking beans in half and they were definitely under roasted, I crunched on one and it tasted under roasted too.

I decided that rather than throw 300 grams of my best Gambella, I would reroast it. So I did, but it went faster than I expected and straight from a very short FC into SC, so now its nice and brown, dark brown, but smells terrific, I'll start on it in a weeks time. This is the second time I have had to reroast for much the same reason - missing FC and pulling too soon. It saves throwing them out, its not a good practice to make a habit of, but its doable for the home roaster.

Comment

I re-roasted a 500gm batch yesterday as they were under-roasted. My thermocouple decided to stop reading about 6 minutes in so I guessed the rest of the way. Got to the start of SC but they were still under-roasted, guess I didn't get the temperature right. Still new to this roasting game anyway.

Tried them in a plunger yesterday, certainly better than they were before, still had a bit of a sour note to them. Will be giving them a go in my EM6910 this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by noidle22 View Post
                  I re-roasted a 500gm batch yesterday as they were under-roasted. My thermocouple decided to stop reading about 6 minutes in so I guessed the rest of the way. Got to the start of SC but they were still under-roasted, guess I didn't get the temperature right. Still new to this roasting game anyway.

Tried them in a plunger yesterday, certainly better than they were before, still had a bit of a sour note to them. Will be giving them a go in my EM6910 this evening.
                  I suggest that you give them a few more days to rest, they are probably still a bit under-matured until day 5 at the earliest. Would you please post how they tastes then?

Comment

Originally posted by smokey View Post
                    I did a double roast with the behmor on the weekend. I was sitting next to the roaster reading a good book and missed FC, I thought it was start of SC so I pulled it. When it cooled I broke a few pale looking beans in half and they were definitely under roasted, I crunched on one and it tasted under roasted too.

I decided that rather than throw 300 grams of my best Gambella, I would reroast it. So I did, but it went faster than I expected and straight from a very short FC into SC, so now its nice and brown, dark brown, but smells terrific, I'll start on it in a weeks time. This is the second time I have had to reroast for much the same reason - missing FC and pulling too soon. It saves throwing them out, its not a good practice to make a habit of, but its doable for the home roaster.
                    I started on my re-roasted beans today, and chocolate predominates, wow, I want more of this

Quite oily, grinder will probably need a clean after I finish with it. At around day 16 and so this is what I would expect except that the Gambella usually has a little more fruitiness, but I think that being such a dark roast the cocoa and chocolate will dominate over the fruit.

Just for the record
                    Ethiopian Gambella sundried - 250 gr
                    Tanzania Machare Estate - 30 gr
                    Thailand Ciang Mai - 30 gr
                    PNG Naturals - 30 gr

A blend that has a base of the Ethiopian fruitiness and depth with a touch of chocolate from the Machare estate, light acid from the PNG and some extra crema from the Chiang Mai.

Comment

The first two double roasts I did were sensational, the third a little less so, but still not too bad. I've typed up my hand written notes into an excel file, but couldn't work out how to attach a file, so here it is pasted in:
                      Bean: Columbia Pitalito Supremo
                      Temp
                      Min batch 1 batch 2 batch 3
                      0 27 24
                      1 37 34 32
                      2 49 48 44
                      3 61 63 53
                      4 69 75 63
                      5 80 83 73
                      6 89 93 86
                      7 98 96
                      8 110 114 106
                      9 122 126 112
                      10 131 135
                      11 129
                      20 84 78
                      21 89 83
                      22 99 100 84
                      23 111 105 102
                      24 124 122
                      25 136 142
                      26 145 153 133
                      27 153 162 141
                      28 163 175 149
                      29 173 188 159
                      30 182 199 170
                      31 201 181
                      32 201 193
                      33 203 204 200
                      34 205 206 203
                      35 208
                      First snap 190 185
                      First crack 197 188 191
                      Second snap 208 206 207

Comment

I got an ERR7 on my behmor today. Will try reroasting to see how it goes.

Comment

Still double roasting - hitting 130 deg and then allowing to cool for 10 minutes - usually hitting about 95 deg and then continuing to the start of the second crack. Very pleasing results - it seems a lot sweeter than a single roast.

Comment

Working...
                          X