Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fourth Roast - 2 poppers. One modded for cooling!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fourth Roast - 2 poppers. One modded for cooling!

G'day all.

After a bucket load of search engine combing and some forum haunting I have had a go at my fourth roast and it's not that bad!

I previously posted a thread for help on my roasts as they were always charring too quickly.
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/home-roast...eshooting.html

After looking into popper modifications I decided to buy another $7 Target popper and have a go at modding one.

The popper has been modified to be a coffee bean cooler, thanks to the article at Evil Mad Scientist.
    http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2010/roasting-coffee-at-home-a-diy-coffee-bean-cooler/

Pics attached show the wiring diagram, the new internal wirings and the final product. The DC motor was tested with a benchtop power supply to 12v, but after listening to the unmodified popper it sounds like it could have been taken to 14v... I never tested the DC motor voltage before hacking it to pieces...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	finished.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	756176Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.jpg
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	756178Click image for larger version

Name:	electrical diagram.gif
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	756179

mrearthpig offered some advice on using the Target 900w popcorn maker and it really made sense. So I tried some of the steps to get my FC happening in a resonable time.
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/home-roast...tml#post493657

With an ambient temp of about 25deg and a 72g load of Costa Rica beans I was able to reach FC at around 6min and ended the roast at around 10 minutes. Take a look at the results!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Fourth Roast.jpg
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	756177

The roast was getting a little too hot towards the end and some beans were flecking, so I ended it ASAP and tossed the beans in the cooling popper. After about 1 min to 2 min the beans were cooled!

Reading more of deegee's post it looks like doing the simple case modifications he sugested may help control the heat more without having to resort to installing a dimmer switch.
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/home-roast...tml#post514695

Now I have to wait about 1-2 days to try the beans out!

I have toastmaster 1200w (two of them) neither modded $15 CDN for factorydirect.ca Above 10c ambient I use about 70g loads. Colder I can use more beans 80g or so. Either way I have a wooden spoon and stir a lot for the 1st minute at least and of and on after. No lid unless below -5c. I find 5-6 min when 5c or warmer for just past first crack. For most beans especially fruity Africans I don't like to go much past this. Generally happy with results. The best I ever did was with Kenya AA 80 g and it was cold.. -13c ambient maybe 12 min total, between fc and SC closer to first though. Nice balance of fruit and coffee flavor. I think I am going to pick up a behmor soon though.

Comment

I was running mine from 24V for a while. I think a web search turned up that it was rated for 19V.

Rather than having two separate poppers, simply cutting power to the heating element works quite effectively. The only trouble is that the default configuration includes a secondary heating coil as a voltage dropping resistor. So you will likely still need a separate power supply for the fan (which actually makes switching off the heat easier).
      If you leave the secondary element there, and only switch the main element, you end up with an air temp of around 70°C.

These modifications lead to a slippery slope. I've recently procured a small hand held vacuum motor...

Comment

Nice work guys, I enjoy deegee's posts too, very helpful, he is the 'master of poppers'.

Comment

Mine is still better than anyone's :P

Seriously though, isn't it great when something so cheap works better than something worth hundreds of dollars

Comment

@Delish007
            That cold Canadian weather seems to really keep those roasts coming out well for a popper. Hope you don't freeze while you're out there with your popper! Not sure if I am ready to spend AU$398 for a Behmor yet tho...

@MrJack
            Thanks mate! The EvilMadScientist page does address the two poppers issue in the comments. I have to agree, it becomes a slippery slope when it comes to modding!

@Smokey
            Thanks! From what I've read, your roasts are coming along quite well. Keep it up!

@shapeshifter
            Can't argue with you there!

Comment

Javanotcold - time to change your mind about the behmor1600'+':
              http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/homeroast/666517

Comment

Originally posted by javaNOTcode View Post
                @MrJack
                Thanks mate! The EvilMadScientist page does address the two poppers issue in the comments. I have to agree, it becomes a slippery slope when it comes to modding!
                My current variant employs a second fan in series with the first powered by a laptop power supply, a conical aluminium insert for the base of the roasting chamber, and an open source PID controller allowing for detailed roast profiles.

Comment

Originally posted by Delish007 View Post
                  Javanotcold - time to change your mind about the behmor1600'+':

Oooh! Manual mode! Now that sounds good!

Originally posted by MrJack View Post
                  My current variant employs a second fan in series with the first powered by a laptop power supply, a conical aluminium insert for the base of the roasting chamber, and an open source PID controller allowing for detailed roast profiles.

Stop that! You're gettin me all excited! Can we see a post about this equipment? I'd love to see all that geekiness!

Comment

Sure. It doesn't look anywhere near as fancy as it sounds though!

Comment

Working...
                    X