First go at roasting (coretto)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First go at roasting (coretto)

So after reading forums and getting myself a bag of PNG Wahgi I had my first crack at roasting today. Boots in, not too much preparation, only way to learn is to do!

I measured out 250 grams and ended up with 220 but I think I've under done them somewhat attached is a pic of the green beans, my effort and a commercial roast which looks to my eye about a 9 on the 10 bean cs scale. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCoffeeSnobs1399190651.276649.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	756213

I didn't have a thermal probe but I used a laser thermometer which was really handy as I could pre heat the pan accurately, measure the temp of the HG, the BM pan and everything in between

Used some roasting profiles as a very rough guide and slowly got the beans up to about 205 at the 15 m mark and stopped at 20 mins. Thing was, the noise of the BM and the HG meant I couldn't hear any cracking. Tried switching off the BM for a second or 2 to see if I was hearing a RFC a couple of times - no joy

There's still some chaff on the beans and by the looks of another colour scale I've seen on the forums (with 16 colours) I might have not even made first crack. Nevertheless ill bag em and see how they go in 5days. Is there anything lost in reroasting them in a couple of days if they are too under done?

Cheers!

CH

Hi

They look very underdone for spending 20 mins in the roaster. You may need some more power with your HG or try adjusting the height a bit closer to the pan.

Still, try these beans in a few days, some kind of manual brewing method would be best. Tasting everything as you go is the best way to learn.

I don't think there is any benefit from trying to re roast them. Better of having a go at a fresh batch asap so you can note the differences in taste and appearance. Repeat ad infinitum

Comment

Thanks for the advice, will have a go and report back. Mustn't have gotten to FC!

Comment

Welcome CH
        Getting in there is the only way to learn
        I second Steve's comments - sounds & looks a little long & light. For a small batch size (350g) I always aimed to hit 2C around 17-18mins. Bigger batches a little longer.
        So I'd be trying more heat from the gun but ramping to get up there (to save scorching).
        You should have not trouble hearing the cracks if there is enough heat. And although it can be counter intuitive - partially covering the pan with a brick/tile or similar will actually aid in hearing the cracks!
        And taste everything!

Cheers Matt

Comment

I also have to agree with the comments above. If I remember back that far mine turned out very similar to your beans the first time i ever roasted. Mine may have been even a little more lighter than yours and i knew they hadnt reached FC. By the look of those beans they look to be on the verge of FC. Good luck with it all. You will only get better at it as time goes on

More heat

Comment

Thanks for the comments! I will keep em to try but roast another set. Looking here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_roasting I must have been just before first crack, I thought the temp wasn't supposed to go over 200. . . . Bit wrong there . I think the laser is giving me a very accurate temp in the pan even with moving beans so I will happily get them up another 30-40 degrees and see how I go.

I learned a lot and had fun and there's plenty more beans to play with. Thinking I should insulate the pan as lots of posts have suggested. The HG had plenty more in it though so will mess around with it and covering the pan as suggested too. I'm trying to ramp up the temp over 20 mins so will start with a steeper profile and a higher fan speed.

Cheers all

CH

Comment

I found when i use to roast in a bread maker that most of my roast would end around 220 degrees. I would achieve FC at about 200 degrees. From most accounts i believe you want to try and achieve FC around 180-195 degrees and slow the heat ramp so you can achieve a 3 min or so window before SC. Do remember if you slow the ramp too much you risk baking the beans instead of roasting them. When i first started I found myself lying in bed thinking about what and how to roast next. Let me tell you its an addictive little hobby.

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris, you're dead right.

I jumped in an ran another roast tonight after everyones advice, I was MUCH happier. Got FC clear as a bell ( definitely missed it last night) at 18 min mark and SC a little too late at the 22min mark. Need to ramp the temp up a little earlier, they got to 241 in the end but it took ages to make its way through to the 200 mark, then ran away. 250 grams to start with ended up with 205.

Beans look much better and smell fantastic. Here's a pic with the original beans and my second go Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCoffeeSnobs1399298919.950416.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	737315. Will report on both roasts in a couple of days

Thanks for all the advice and support fellow CS'rs I'm hooked!

Comment

They look good, its amazing after roasting for some time you look back at some of the original roasts you did you can see the improvement in appearance but more importantly taste. This is only my advice and some may disagree but making it to FC between 180-190 is good but if you can achieve this by making that happen at around 12-14 mins then have the beans roast on a lower heat for another 3 mins or around SC depending on your preference you will see some good results. I find that reaching this time and heat crossing (12-14min/180-190degrees) is a bit of a sweet spot for me.

Regards,

Chris

Comment

Just an update on my progress, I've now had 4 successful roasts using coffeechris's profile above. Timing is roughly the same but my temp readings show FC around 211 degrees (varies a bit with the bean). I am using a laser probe not a multimeter so perhaps there's variation?

I've now roasted some Tanzania Kyaurinde and Monsoon Malabar as well as an "experiment" re-roasting the original mess from day one. My second roast is now 5 days old and OK, im going to let it sit in the bag and keep trying it over the next week. Gotta stop cracking the bag and having a sniff

Lessons learned are to not be afraid of stuffing up, theres no wrong way to do it and as everyone suggests . . .experiment!

Thanks again folks,

CH

Comment

There is a lot of info around to say you should wait 2,3,4 plus days after roasting. However i like im sure many others find its good to try them straight away or when ever you feel like trying them. It gives you a good understanding of how they develop over the days.

As for the roasting and correct temp at FC, i feel that consistency is the main priority. After you get that you can begin to work the temp down. Or on the other hand if you are getting good results from the beans cracking at the temp they are leave it there.
                      I can assure you one thing you will get better at it if you are passionate about getting a great taste out of the beans.

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Working...
                      X