Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green bean sampler pack

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Green bean sampler pack

    Is there a Bean Bay green bean sampler pack, that has a smaller quantity of various green beans to try? I remember seeing this somewhere but not 100% sure if it was beanbay.

    I've tried brazil, peru and decafwow and am ready to try my next... peru has been my favourite so far. Rather than buying a big 2.5kg bag of just one new bean, it'd be great if I could buy say 5x 500g mixed

  • #2
    There was a starter pack in BeanBay for the last 9 years but currently we are not offering it, sorry.

    Rather than buying a big 2.5kg bag of just one new bean, it'd be great if I could buy say 5x 500g mixed
    I actually think that you will learn far more from buying 2.5kg and roasting it different ways.

    500g is not enough to learn on and if you get the roast wrong without knowing you will always view that bean as a dud when maybe it was a gem.

    Comment


    • #3
      You could also order one or more of the roasted SO beans, select one of the beans you like, order it green
      then try and emulate the result yourself.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by chylld View Post
        Is there a Bean Bay green bean sampler pack, that has a smaller quantity of various green beans to try? I remember seeing this somewhere but not 100% sure if it was beanbay.

        I've tried brazil, peru and decafwow and am ready to try my next... peru has been my favourite so far. Rather than buying a big 2.5kg bag of just one new bean, it'd be great if I could buy say 5x 500g mixed
        Sounds like you need to try one of the African or Central beans, chylld

        If the current Tanzania Kyaurinde is similar to the last batch, it is both a) one of my favourite coffees and b) simple enough to roast. Of the centrals the Guatemala Jacaltenango is fantastic, and again roasts well without stuffing around.

        The Tanz. K will give you a greater contrast to the beans you've already tried.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
          If the current Tanzania Kyaurinde is similar to the last batch, it is both a) one of my favourite coffees and b) simple enough to roast.
          The Tanz. K will give you a greater contrast to the beans you've already tried.
          Great idea! It's a little same, same but different to last time but still a really awesome bean and an easy roaster.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
            Sounds like you need to try one of the African or Central beans, chylld

            If the current Tanzania Kyaurinde is similar to the last batch, it is both a) one of my favourite coffees and b) simple enough to roast. Of the centrals the Guatemala Jacaltenango is fantastic, and again roasts well without stuffing around.

            The Tanz. K will give you a greater contrast to the beans you've already tried.
            I never aced geography in high school, but I'm still disappointed that I didn't draw the relationship between Peru and Brazil.... looks like I need to go around the world a bit!

            The Peru has pretty much run out so I think that justifies buying 2 more bags. Right??

            Comment


            • #7
              Right.

              Comment


              • #8
                As a newbie roaster myself - I've found the Tanz K is a great bean to roast. I've purchased my green beans based on comments of each as an SO, I'm realising now that part of the "Journey" could be enhanced by having a bag available of blended greens that can be roasted together that shows you what a balanced blend should be like (as opposed to buying each separately). I know roasting a blend of beans at the same time is a no no as far as many are concerned but I see plenty of posters saying they do this.

                Any chance of a 2.5 Kg blended greens bag?

                Comment


                • #9
                  That's what I did... Peru and Brazil were pretty good by themselves, and I noticed the roaster settings were the same... so I blended them green and ended up with the best roast I'd ever done The notes for the Brazil however say they should be taken up to a CS10 or something for blending, but I'm lazy :P

                  An expertly-blended 2.5kg greens bag would be awesome. Ministry Grounds offers a few green blends.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Interesting roast consistency (or lack thereof) with the Yemen. Going to be very hard to refrain from trying it tomorrow morning

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by chylld View Post
                      Going to be very hard to refrain from trying it tomorrow morning
                      Why the long face!?!
                      Just get into it - beans develop a lot, and in fascinating ways, over their lifespan. I very seldom get past 7 days on mine, but had 2 bags of Yunan taking me up to almost 10 days today. Started off with super-fruits on day 2-3, into smooth caramel about day 5, then a slightly flat earthiness about 7 days, now into the cocoa at 10 days. Who'da thunk!

                      Enjoy those Yemen
                      Matt

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I wanted to give it at least 24 hours to rest Every time I've sampled a fresh roast before that, it doesn't taste quite right... hard to describe, almost 'green'? Can a colour be used to describe a taste?

                        I only have one single shot per day so I'm sure I'll get to experience the different flavours over the coming week Cleared out my schedule for tomorrow morning!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by chylld View Post
                          Interesting roast consistency (or lack thereof) with the Yemen.
                          Looks like a pretty decent roast to me. The number of pale / underdone beans in that picture is normal for a bean such as this, have a look at where they are grown........

                          Those few beans were prob not ripe enough when picked and or suffered some kind of nutrient deficiencies or were subject to frost ect, so they do not have the necessary components to undergo proper browning and caramelisation reactions.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                            Sounds like you need to try one of the African or Central beans, chylld

                            If the current Tanzania Kyaurinde is similar to the last batch, it is both a) one of my favourite coffees and b) simple enough to roast. Of the centrals the Guatemala Jacaltenango is fantastic, and again roasts well without stuffing around.

                            The Tanz. K will give you a greater contrast to the beans you've already tried.
                            Massive agree with that Guatemala jac. I've only ever had it in a blend until today. Cracked a bag of SO I roasted 5 days ago this morning, and it's a gem of a coffee. Cut through milk like a knife and smooth as silk as a LB.... And I'm stoked I've got 2.15kg of green still to play with!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hi, how much roughly is a 2.5kg bag?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X