Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First roast, any feedback?

Hi there,

Just purchased a Behmor 1600 + last friday to try my hand at roasting. It arrived today (Monday) in Sydney, which is pretty damn fast postage from Victoria (Thanks Andy!), so I had to give it a go.

I only used 100 grams, as per the instructions given in the box to get used to the process. My issue is, I started the cooling cycle the first time I heard what I suspected was a second crack (The first crack after a 10s or so of silence), but I wasn't quite sure I'd hit it. Looking at the results, I'd say I definitely did - but I'm not sure if it's actually gone in to very dark territory. Want to wait a couple of days before pulling a shot and trying it, but based on this picture - how dark would you say this roast is?
    The bean is the Peru Ceja de Selva.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140602_214000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	756333

Also, WOW green beans smell very different to the roasted product! A lot sweeter than what I was expecting.

DrMon,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs and home roasting. Peru C de S is one of my favourite beans.

To me the colour is CS 8 or 9. It should be OK. The test will be the flavour in the cup.

Let us know the result and what machine you have.

Barry

Comment

I see you have an exploded bean there, check that any of the other beans are not like this. the roast colour looks great but you will learn over time its more in the tastes and aromas you discover from grinding and extracting a shot from.

Chris

Comment

Welcome DrMon
        as you have found using 100g of bean and using P1 things happen very quickly. I soon found that by using larger quantities of beans you will have more control over your roasts. I quickly began using 200g and profile P2A. You should reach C1 before you run out of time, however you may or not find you will need to add a little time at the end. When I first started I would always take my roasts to just the beginning of C2 NOW I try to stop just short of C2. Your taste buds will decide for you!
        Many of my roasts I now use 300g P2C. This will give you 21.30min on the clock and C1 should start about the 8 or 9 min mark and this will give you extra time now to Look, Listen and Learn.
        Your first roast looks pretty damn good! Hope you enjoy your roasting and of course drinking the coffee you have created.
        Cicarda

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys! Nice to find somewhere so welcoming to the new folk, I've got quite a few things to learn.

Originally posted by coffeechris View Post
          I see you have an exploded bean there
          Yes! I saw that after I took the picture. A few of the other beans have much smaller chunks taken out of them - mostly off the smooth outside of the bean. I wonder why that happened - too much heat too quickly?

Originally posted by Cicarda View Post
          I soon found that by using larger quantities of beans you will have more control over your roasts
          Hmm, that's a good idea. I might start putting in 200g/300g after my next attempt to see if I can start fine tuning the colour of the beans. Hopefully I'll also be able to pull a shot from the first roast before then too, though I'm not entirely sure how long to let them develop before trying them.

Good to hear that the colour is good all round though, last thing I want from my very first cup of home roast coffee is a cup full of charcoal water. Looking forward to the first shot.

Comment

Wecome to Coffee Snobs DrMon,

I suspect a little aggressive with the heat early on, regardless pretty good looking first roast, I'd be well pleased if I were you.

PS, not really an exploded bean, its called a divot.

Comment

Originally posted by DrMon View Post
              Yes! I saw that after I took the picture. A few of the other beans have much smaller chunks taken out of them - mostly off the smooth outside of the bean. I wonder why that happened - too much heat too quickly?
              Yup! Too fast of a ramp up, especially coming up to and into 2nd crack. Those little craters, usually called divots, are a sure sign the bean has hit 2nd crack, albeit at too fast of a ramp. If there's a lot of these in the roast you may find the beans are a bit under-roasted in the center.

Originally posted by DrMon View Post
              Hopefully I'll also be able to pull a shot from the first roast before then too, though I'm not entirely sure how long to let them develop before trying them.
              Seeing as you're just getting into roasting start tasting your beans right away and through-out the maturing process and into the stale-throw-it-away zone. That way you can experience first hand how the beans change in behavior as well as flavor over time and how the roast effects those changes. Experiencing all the different variables in bringing a bean from green to cup allows you to nail down what those variable need to be to give you the best experience in the cup.

And of course to do that you'll need to take copious notes. Lots and lots of notes!

Java "Now that we've got you hooked, enjoy the journey!" phile
              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I too am a behmor 1600+ roaster, with 4 roast under my belt

My suggestion is that buy a small bag of coffee from your favorite roaster, and cup them side by side. Never would've realize my roast lacked body until I test it against Campos', other than that, I like my roast better 😤

Comment

Working...
                X