Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Behmor burning beans.

Hi,

I just got the new model Behmor and seem to have a problem with it burning the beans. I have accurately measured out the beans and have run a couple of different profiles and in all the roasts I have had to hit the cooling button around the 3 min mark as I was well into the second crack. First time caused the whole house to fill with smoke.
    I remember doing some reading awhile ago and people were complaining that this machines profiles weren't able to get the beans dark enough...I certainly don't have this problem! Am I not using it right?

Cheers,

Fil

Surely the retailer you bought it from can assist?

Comment

Hi Filby

I use both new and original behmor roasters, 3 mins to second crack does sound like lightning fast, how much bean do you roast for each batch?

Comment

He probably meant 3 minutes of time left on the countdown timer of the unspecified charge weight and profile chosen. The new model Behmor referred to is most likely the Behmor 1600 Plus.

Comment

Don't worry. There are a lot of variables at play here and it will take you a few roasts to get the hang of it. The roast time will vary with the beans you are using, the batch size, the air temperature, the voltage at the power point as well as the profile you choose and maybe some machine to machine variation. The suggested times are just a starting point to be modified for your machine in your climate.

If the Behmor has a weakness it is that it cools slowly so the roast tends to run on even after you have hit cool. You have to allow for it. Your roast just went too long. You have to hit cool at the very first snaps of second crack or even better before and let it drift into second crack during cooling. One strategy is to do 2 batches of the same bean, the first will be a little beyond your target roast but the second will be lighter as you have a good feel for the timing. A blend of the two roasts can be good. The lighter roast showing more of the bean character and the darker roast some of those stronger tones, especially with milk based coffee. Also while it is often quoted to roast to the start of second crack you do not have to go that far. You can get great roasts that end before second.

I roast next to a window with a glass heatproof chopping board propped on top acting as a chimney. I open another window so that the airflow is out of the roaster's window and I don't roast if the North Easter is blowing because the airflow doesn't work. I could roast on the balcony but that would require an extension cord for the roaster and some say that causes a problematic voltage drop. Some roast in the garage but that would be too bleak for me. You have to come up with a solution for the smoke as all roasters produce smoke. The Behmor is better than most.

HTH

Chris

Comment

First, taste the coffee. Did you like it?

If you like dark roasts, the after burner wouldn't be able to handle the smoke produced well into 2C. Just be ready for the smoke for the next batches. Roast in front of an open window with a fan.

If you roast with P1, everything goes really fast, especially after 1C

If you roast with 100g batches, they're even faster.

Best thing to do is to log your roasts. Press A and B every minute and write them down, it'll help repeating the batch you like and it's something to do to keep your brain from wandering off.

Use the rosetta stone feature. Press C after you hear a few pops of 1C. Generally that works for most, depending on which profiles, it shouldn't produce any smoke.

Comment

Hi I was having the same issues with the new Behmor Plus. About a moth old, It would it would easily push the beans in to a rolling second crack and the kitchen would fill with smoke. I've measured the line voltage and it was not the problem, i ceased doing a pre-heat and that was also not the problem.

I found that if i put 114 grams (1/4 pound) of beans in and and set it to 100 grams that the beans came out perfect. My machine seems to work on the settings for the old 1/4, 1/2 and 1 pound machine even through you push the metric 100, 200 or 400 gram buttons.

The display does show 1/4 pound for 100 grams and the roasting profile matches that shown for a 1/4 cycle in the manual.

Comment

Thanks to all posters in relation to the Behmor Plus. I am thinking of purchasing a roaster and was ready to place my order but after reading the posts I have decided to do a bit more research.

The Behmor is certainly well priced, but I am unsure about its performance. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced roaster or am i just being over cautious in relation to the Behmor.

Comment

Originally posted by PJB View Post
                  Thanks to all posters in relation to the Behmor Plus. I am thinking of purchasing a roaster and was ready to place my order but after reading the posts I have decided to do a bit more research.

The Behmor is certainly well priced, but I am unsure about its performance. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced roaster or am i just being over cautious in relation to the Behmor.
                  Basically the Behmor will outclass any other roaster in its price bracket, and with a little practice you will be able to produce the roasts you want. I would suggest that you first do what most of us did, and that is go and do some roasting with an el cheapo Kmart popcorn popper, cost is like $25 and it will produce decent roasts that you will be proud of. But its limit is around 90 grams a roast, which, if you are consuming 300 grams a week, may eventually push you to purchase a larger roaster, like the Behmor.

Fact is any roaster will burn beans until you learn how to work it, like anything else, it takes practice.

Comment

Originally posted by PJB View Post

It's good to be cautious but you are being over cautious.....

Like any thing else; once you learn to drive it........ you'll be fine.

There are thousands of Behmors out in coffee land, only a handful of people have posted 'problems' first and asked questions later.

An inherent problem with the interwebs.

If you have read all the posts about the original 1600 and the Plus you would also have seen Andy's posts?

For three years now I have seen the Behmor churn out a veritable mountain of perfect roasts at each of the MICE

events. Roasting back to back for three days.

My son has had one for about two years and was one of the first to upgrade the control panel recently.

He consistently turns out first class roasts over a wide range of bean origins.

Comment

Working...
                    X