Lost control of roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost control of roast

Hey guys, just did 2.5 kg in the drum roaster for a friend wanting to buy beans off me. During the roast I noticed the temps going up quicker than I usually like and even backing off gas wasn't that effective like normal. 1c was at 7min and 2c I managed to stretch to 12 and dropped not long after. Noticed that when I dropped greens in I didn't replace metal slide into the slot causing the fan to draw from top hopper instead of drum causing little to no air circulation during roast. That's what I'm putting it down to I'm thinking. Roast looks fine but wondering what to expect in the cup in comparison to my usual roasts. Will there be a huge difference? Deciding wether to still let him have the beans or not. My usual times are 1c at about 10 min and 2c approx 16-17 and drop
    Opinions?
    Cheers

Cup the roast, if there is a defect it will show up straight away.

Look for sourness, especially sour acids that aren't balanced with sweetness. Maybe a lack of sweetness too.

Section some beans and see if they are uniformly roasted through.

A roast that goes haywire stays at home until I know the full story ....... sometime around day 14-or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Philby1981 View Post
      Hey guys, just did 2.5 kg in the drum roaster for a friend wanting to buy beans off me. During the roast I noticed the temps going up quicker than I usually like and even backing off gas wasn't that effective like normal. 1c was at 7min and 2c I managed to stretch to 12 and dropped not long after. Noticed that when I dropped greens in I didn't replace metal slide into the slot causing the fan to draw from top hopper instead of drum causing little to no air circulation during roast. That's what I'm putting it down to I'm thinking. Roast looks fine but wondering what to expect in the cup in comparison to my usual roasts. Will there be a huge difference? Deciding wether to still let him have the beans or not. My usual times are 1c at about 10 min and 2c approx 16-17 and drop
      Opinions?
      Cheers
      Hi Philby,

There will be a big difference. Your ramp is much faster (green beans inside) and your airflow will have been compromised. You will surely taste this when you come to cup the roast.

I'd probably bin it. At best, it's a freebie in my opinion.

Good luck.

Chris

Comment

Thanks, lesson learned... Simple little thing to forget! Bugger. I'll keep them and try them myself just for interest sake I think.

Comment

roasting it again, what would happen (not full way)...?
          that idea came, when I was reading about Garbanzo, you can roast them twice.
          Last edited by Rolf; 8 June 2014, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Lucky I have 2 kg roasted 4 days ago that I can give him. Wants it for next week so probably degassed better anyway. Just means I'll run short.

Comment

Except for a couple of kilos of 'experiment' ;-D......

at least it shouldn't be baked....... simply not enough time to get baked flavours.

Grassy, herbaceous, sour and maybe astringent.

Post up your cupping notes! What was it roasted in?

p.s. not knowing what it's going to taste like.......... but it's a

bit like playing 20 questions; a bottle of wine in a paper bag ; 20 questions to identify it. ;-)
              Last edited by chokkidog; 8 June 2014, 06:45 PM. Reason: add p.s.

Comment

Always taste it - straight out of the roaster. Best way to learn! You'll tell straight away if there are any massive flaws.
                It will still develop over time, but any over or under roasting will show from the start.

But who knows - maybe your 'failed' roast will be the start of the fourth wave!

Cheers Matt

Comment

When you say "taste it", do you mean eat a few beans, or by cupping/espresso? ( I usually have sn espresso, but its more an issue of impatience than quality control )

Comment

Straight to the espresso machine
                    Recently did a couple of roasts with a fellow snobber who has bought a 2.5kg commercial roaster, and it was a learning curve for us both!
                    Did 2x 750g batches back to back, straight in the grinder while the profile/technique was fresh. First was too quick - way too acidic as espresso. The second was too long - so quite flat in the cup. Tried the results myself a few days later at home, with much the same results, just slightly more subdued.
                    So hot into the grinder I say!
                    FWIW - chewing a bean has not really given me much feedback - but cutting a ban in half with a sharp blade and looking through a mag glass can give some interesting information

Cheers Matt

Comment

Pulled double today and tried as espresso and made a flat white off the other side. Still very early but I don't think all is lost, still would not sell beans but will use myself. Shot was a little sour but the it hid well in milk. Could even be ok espresso in a few more days. I was going to be possibly running short for me but this will do if I have to dip into it before next delivery. Good experiment if nothing else

Comment

Originally posted by Philby1981 View Post
                        Good experiment if nothing else
                        Absolutely - if you don't sample - you don't learn!

Comment

Working...
                        X