Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any way to know other than sound when the second crack starts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any way to know other than sound when the second crack starts?

Because of my roaster and the Venita hood above it, Its hard for me to hear the first crack much less the second crack. Don't laugh but i have thought seriously about trying aDoctor’s stethoscope. Has anyone tried this, if not do you guys thank it would work?
    Thanks for the help

Hi Snakeoil
    Sounds like you using a popper?
    You sometimes get a puff of smoke starting just before 2C commences - but other than that - turn the hood of in bursts to listen?
    Cheers Matt

Comment

I second this. I'm deaf on one ear so the noise of roasting equipment can be a problem for me.
      When I finally noticed the smoke just before I could hear the first crackles of second crack it was an epiphany!

Comment

My suggestion is only if you haven't got the ability to sample the beans. I suggest timing it. from FC to say 3 mins after FC. Note your temp and time from FC to when you end it. Try the beans and work out if this suits. If it doesn't make the adjustment with either less or more heat combined with less or more time. Trial and error is a great way to learn.

Chris
        Last edited by coffeechris; 13 June 2014, 04:23 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by snakeoil View Post
          Because of my roaster and the Venita hood above it, Its hard for me to hear the first crack much less the second crack. Don't laugh but i have thought seriously about trying aDoctor’s stethoscope. Has anyone tried this, if not do you guys thank it would work?
          Thanks for the help
          I've tried the steth thing, but because it amplifies ambient noise and doesn't handle higher pitch sound well it isn't particularly useful.

Comment

I agree with others. I have tinnitus which varies in intensity so you learn to use other senses. When I use my KKTO I can't hear the cracks so I check the temperature to know when it's nearing first crack and second crack. When I'm using the Behmor, you look for the smoke that signals onset of first and second cracks.
            What sort of roaster do you have now? If you are using a popper, you will find the beans will start releasing more chaff as first crack approaches.

Comment

Also, second crack is about 20C degrees after first.

Comment

@thundergod, do you usually get to second crack at plus 20C with a popper as a newbie I my first cracks are on average 220C and usually stop at 225C resulting in a CS7-8
                PS is have only done 4 roasts in my popper

Comment

I haven't used a popper for years and back then had no idea what temperatures were being generated.

Comment

In an unmodified popper there could be a relatively large difference in temperature between the inside and outside of the bean, so possible to have a "bean mass" temp measurement which is much higher than the bean average temp.

In a popper with heat control (like mine), 1st crack ccurs at a much lower measured temp than 220°C.

The bean temperature at 1st crack won't really vary much I don't think; what varies is the corresponding measured temperature in a given roaster. I believe it's an important distinction from an understanding POV.

Comment

@Mr Jack, understand, will try to modify the heat output once I get a little more experience as per the mod posts elsewhere....

Comment

Working...
                      X