Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bean with the shortest rest time is....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bean with the shortest rest time is....?

Is there a certain bean (or blend) that anyone has found is at its best / or develops faster than normal? Only because if I get behind in roasting or get hit with visitors I end up drinking blends before my usual 7-10 preferred rest time and have wondered if I could manufacture a 'wedge' roast to get me through...
    Is there one that's good after a coupe of days??
    I'm assuming to roast slightly darker maybe - I read somewhere on the forum that darker roasts degas faster
    Just wonderin....
    Link

From personal experience, I've found that if you roast slightly slower than usual for any given bean, the taste seems to peak earlier, but doesn't age as well. I've had crackers straight out of the roaster like this

If think if you roast faster, you retain more acidity, which can take longer to settle… just my musings at this point in time!
    Cheers Matt

Comment

Yep, longer more gentle roasting will flatten out the beans characteristics and make it more usable within a short period.

All you have to do with beans that are really fresh is to grind a lot finer and dose lower, lots to enjoyed in days 2 to 6 post roast.

Comment

I find Centrals (e.g. Mexican) pretty approachable from day one - when I get stuck.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I've got a few kg of Guatemala SHB, so I'll give that a whirl in the Behmor as slow as I can.
          Cheers

Comment

Decafe wow.............can just about bang it in the grinder as it's still warm...............might add I haven't had Decafe Wow for ages :-) But I have drank it within hours of roasting when I had been caught short with brown stuff.

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve82 View Post
              Yep, longer more gentle roasting will flatten out the beans characteristics and make it more usable within a short period.

All you have to do with beans that are really fresh is to grind a lot finer and dose lower, lots to enjoyed in days 2 to 6 post roast.
              its right! To have a perfect cup of coffee you must roast your beans properly. And I believe that the longer you roast the yummier your coffee is.

Comment

Originally posted by NikoleWare View Post
                its right! To have a perfect cup of coffee you must roast your beans properly. And I believe that the longer you roast the yummier your coffee is.
                Holding onto strong beliefs can be very limiting in many areas of life.

There are few solid rules in coffee roasting and most can be pushed, bent and broken giving interesting and unique results.

Comment

Working...
                X