No announcement yet.

Where do You Roast - Indoors? Outdoors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do You Roast - Indoors? Outdoors?

Hi,
    I am hoping to do my first roast in my Behmor this weekend.
    I have a garage, an alfresco room and a kitchen with exhaust fan.
    Where should I place the Behmor for the first roast?
    With thanks.....
    (Sorry if this has been discussed before but couldn't find on search.)

If by alfresco room you mean an outdoor covered deck/outdoor living area with decent airflow then that would be my first pick, with garage second and kitchen last.

I have roasted once in the kitchen under the exhaust fan when it was torrential rain outside. It wasn't that bad if you have no choice, however the house did end up quite smelly. I didn't mind coz I like the smell of roasting - but my wife and kids weren't very happy. It ends up permeating into furniture like couches etc - much like a chain smoker's house.

Comment

When I used a Hottop I used to roast in the kitchen under the range hood. (2-3 years). Had no real problems with long lasting smells. However when I moved from the kitchen, and cleaned the range hood I realised how using the kitchen range hood had its downside. Almost had to replace it, as it's difficult to clean properly, and even now lots of steam can cause it to leach out roasting residue.

And the Hottop had a reasonable filter for the smoke.

GrahamK

Comment

Originally posted by bennett View Post
        If by alfresco room you mean an outdoor covered deck/outdoor living area with decent airflow then that would be my first pick, with garage second and kitchen last.

I have roasted once in the kitchen under the exhaust fan when it was torrential rain outside. It wasn't that bad if you have no choice, however the house did end up quite smelly. I didn't mind coz I like the smell of roasting - but my wife and kids weren't very happy. It ends up permeating into furniture like couches etc - much like a chain smoker's house.
        Yes, alfresco room is covered but open to ventilation one end. Will try it there and post back later.
        Thanks for the replies.

Comment

With the Behmor I generally roast inside in a rear sunroom where I can open a door in the final phases and when I remove the beans to dump in a cooler.

With the Coretto I only roast outside (undercover) primarily because of the mess the chaff makes and secondarily the smell/smoke.

Bear in mind that if you roast outside, ambient temperature will have a significant impact on both roast length and on how much you can actually roast at once. On occasion when ambient temp is particularly low < 10-12c and I have roasted outside with the Behmor, I have struggled to get a 400gm roast finished.

Sean

Comment

I have a Behmor in my shed and would certainly not roast inside. There is quite a bit of smoke toward 2C which gets into clothes etc. Even in the shed with the door open it's quite bad but I love the smell!

Comment

Ambient temperature is no longer an issue to complete a roast with the new behmor plus, lovin' the Rosetta stone function to extend the roasting time indefinitely, really handy when i need that extra precious few seconds at the final roasting stage

Comment

I roast inside with my Behmor all the time, but I avoid roasting to the point where excess smoke is produced. I just get a pleasant coffee aroma.
                I have over-roasted a few times which smoked out the house badly, but then I just ventilated with my central evaporative cooler set to fan only. Clears it in a couple of minutes.

Comment

with a behmor always indoors under the rangehood
                  never had a problem really, love the smell of roasted beans!

Comment

If you get a ton of smoke...... and would like to roast indoors, install carbon / catalytic filters at the smoke vents of your roaster......

If you dont care about installing filters then i suggest roasting outside as i wouldnt flood your house with smoke....

Anyways roast with the windows open, just to ensure that smoke escapes (even with carbon filters this is required....)

Good luck

Comment

I have roasted in my Behmor for the past 4 years at least once a week in the garage on top of the clothes dryer.
                      I pull my beans just before or right at start of second crack in a colander so open the garage at that point and take them out the front. Been great so far.... Accept that 1 time when I went into the garage (I recommend u watch your roast all the time) after was WELL last second crack, opened the door and the beans bursting into flames! I grabbed a handy tea towel threw my hands in and grabbed the drum with flaming beans out and ran out the front of pthe house and threw the flaming beans on the drive way. Lol.
                      Apart from that slight incident all great! Doesn't smell out the house for wife and kids if it's in the garage.

Comment

I had a really cold roast night so kept the windows closed during a multiple roast session with my Baby Roaster.

I ended up in hallucinogenic territory with many unwanted symptoms. It wasn't good and I was sick. Really sick!

I am always going to have fresh ventilation from now on.

RC

PS. Learn by your mistakes is my motto.

Comment

I'm with you RC "learn from mistakes", actually I prefer to learn from others and laugh at my own.

That's pretty extreme RC hallucinating from roasting coffee. Makes me feel better on my blooper nearly burning down the house

Moral of our stories you can roast inside but make sure well ventilated and watch your roast.

Comment

I've always roasted inside, in the kitchen until we moved, I now roast in the sunroom, so still inside

If BF can pull apart engines in the lounge, I can roast wherever I feel like

Comment

Originally posted by shapeshifter View Post
                              I've always roasted inside, in the kitchen until we moved, I now roast in the sunroom, so still inside

If BF can pull apart engines in the lounge, I can roast wherever I feel like
                              Seems fair to me both have a win

Comment

Working...
                              X