Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sell off the Refractometer to buy Agtron???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell off the Refractometer to buy Agtron???

Hello,

I'm wanting to buy an Agtron meter to precisely determine the roast profile...
    And i want to sell my refractometer....

As i now know, espresso extraction is not worth evaluating with a refractometer and should be evaluated by the persons taste.

I.E

Bitter: Over extracted
    Sour: Under extracted

And of coarse since i roast my coffee beans.... i need expert equipment to determine roast profile.... instead of vision....

Anyone agree with the idea?

If so, I'll sell it off and buy an Agtron....

Bitter can also mean over roasted, and sour can be under roasted. You can use your reflectometer as a guide determine if you have a roasting or brewing issue.

Comment

Originally posted by muppet_man67 View Post
      Bitter can also mean over roasted, and sour can be under roasted. You can use your reflectometer as a guide determine if you have a roasting or brewing issue.
      Or... you could simply just take a close look at the beans (interior and exterior) to determine roast level and save the cost of the refractometer

Comment

Originally posted by RayTCoffeePro View Post
        Hello,

I'm wanting to buy an Agtron meter to precisely determine the roast profile...

As i now know, espresso extraction is not worth evaluating with a refractometer and should be evaluated by the persons taste.

I.E

Bitter: Over extracted
        Sour: Under extracted

And of coarse since i roast my coffee beans.... i need expert equipment to determine roast profile.... instead of vision....

Keep in mind that while a basic refractometer can be had for as little as $25, an Agtron meter such as the "Agtron Roast Color Analyzer: M Basic-II" will set you back $9,995 USD. Good luck on your trade in ;-P

Comment

Thanks Vinitasse and muppet man....

I will try out with checking the beans interior and exterior...

If it aint work ill get a $25 agtron and see if it works....

If it doesnt ill go for a better agtron....

Thanks guys

Thread closed....and problem solved

Comment

A little knowledge is a very dangerous thing. ;-) Good luck!

Comment

As you're a coffee pro Ray, I'd suggest that the best option for you will be to source a mass spectrometer of appropriate quality. It will allow you to determine what's there and in what precise proportions. Only then will you know whether your roasts are worth drinking.

Hope you enjoy the feed.

Comment

....I'm wanting to buy an Agtron meter to precisely determine the roast profile...

......And of coarse since i roast my coffee beans.... i need expert equipment to determine roast profile.... instead of vision....

Ray, mate. the equipment doesnt determine the "roast profile".....its just a means to determine and compare the colour of your roasts, one from another if you wish, and in comparison to and calibrated from, a colour standard that is supplied with the equipment. It can be used to determine if for example, when using a set repeatable profile, you've nailed the end point of the roast at the same place each time to get "consistency" (yes.....its the "C" word again...). You could change the roasting profile in a miriad of ways and still come up with a similar colour, but with a different character in the cup.

Th serious part of the response concluded, I am very much enjoying this thread. Way to go ! Can we get a bulk deal on the $25 agtrons?

Comment

Talk coffee and Tok, Thanks

Again the debate on consistency as i usually hear about Agtrons and Spectrometers.

It calculates "refraction" therefore it calculates the light refractometry....

And the Spectrometer is a better option although.....

Thanks.....

I'm no lab tool expert, im only about coffee....

Thanks again Talk Coffee, on the information about lab equipment related to coffee roasting.... it really helped a lot [emoji6]

Comment

I've recently dived into a lot of Scott Rao's material and I'd rather go the refractometer. Using your taste buds and refractometer can tell you a lot more about your profile than just how dark some beans or grounds are. The Agtrons can tell you if the inside of the bean is the same colour as the outside. If there is a large difference then your beans are underdeveloped, then you have to change your profile.

Cupping your roast and refracting the cupping can also tell you this. You'll be able to taste the defects (green vegetables, unbalanced, sour) and if your extraction percentage is abnormally low compared to others, then you'll probably need to change your profile.

You can use your senses to detect bad roasts and not just extractions Ray. But to thoroughly determine which one is the culprit, then I believe a refractometer will be much more helpful then an Agtron.

Michael

Comment

You guys and your jokes, bad bad bad, you know nothing is better than a flux capacitor for coffee diagnostics.

C.

Comment

Flux Capacitors dont exist do they....

Comment

Anyways, after correcting myself i think id keep my refractometer before i make any moves

Comment

Anyways, after correcting myself i think id keep my refractometer before i make any moves
                            " As i now know, espresso extraction is not worth evaluating with a refractometer and should be evaluated by the persons taste"

1. What lead you to this assumption ..
                            2. Why do you now not agree with it ..

I am interested in a pros opinion of the thought process .....

Comment

Originally posted by mrboots2u View Post
                              " As i now know, espresso extraction is not worth evaluating with a refractometer and should be evaluated by the persons taste"

1. What lead you to this assumption ..
                              2. Why do you now not agree with it ..

I am interested in a pros opinion of the thought process .....
                              I have to admit that the thought processes in question amuse the hell out of me

Comment

Working...
                              X