Environmental Temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Environmental Temp

Does anyone measure - and more particularly log - environmental temp as well as bean temp in their roasters?

If so how? Do you just run 2 data loggers? Or is there another way?

Cheers

I note it in the profile save name, so for instance "20140906- Decaf WOW - Ambient 18' (20.5min, 225')" where the time is the total time of roast, and 225 is the finish temp......

Comment

Originally posted by Bames View Post
      Does anyone measure - and more particularly log - environmental temp as well as bean temp in their roasters?

If so how? Do you just run 2 data loggers? Or is there another way?

Cheers
      Bames,

I log both bean temp and environmental temp using the one Amprobe TMD-56 thermometer. In terms of software I use Artisan.

T
      Last edited by kwantfm; 16 September 2014, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stilloutthere View Post
        I note it in the profile save name, so for instance "20140906- Decaf WOW - Ambient 18' (20.5min, 225')" where the time is the total time of roast, and 225 is the finish temp......
        Thanks stilloutthere - but I mean environmental temp in the roaster, and log it using either CS or other software and graphed like bean temperature: eg attached photo.

Not referring to what software is used, but rather what hardware / temperature sensor
        Attached Files

Comment

Ahhhhh, my bad....... I thought it was a bit too simple a question, but turns out I didn't read very thoroughly, "in" being a very important word to ignore, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by kwantfm View Post
            Bames,

I log both bean temp and environmental temp using the one Amprobe TMD-56 thermometer. In terms of software I use Artisan.

T
            I'm intrigued - how do you log two temps with the one probe?

Comment

DBC - that digital thermometer will support 2 or more probe inputs, so would be using multiple probes. The multimeter sold in beanbay doesn't support multiple inputs AFAIK, so trying to find out if there's a cheaper/easier way than either buying a multi input one for lots more $$$, or another multimeter from beanbay

Comment

Most commercial roasters are supplied with both bean mass and environmental probes.

My HG came set up to use CS logging and software for the bean mass and any other CS data logger that I want

to attach. It has an inbuilt environmental probe which shows its temp on the HG logger display.

I don't record the environmental temps but use both temp values to gauge the relativity to each other

for consistent load temps. My roastery is kept at 22°C on roast days for consistent ambient temp.

It's also relatively common to log exhaust air and even chaff collector temps (for obvious reasons!). I have a second CS data logger

but can't make up my mind where I want to log another temp.

Comment

Well yes, simply put you need to know the drum (environmental) temp or you wouldn't know at what point to drop the next load into the drum. That would be to have a consistent green bean loading temp.

After that, an individual can do with it (to log it or not) whatever he likes, because he will make decisions during and at the end of the roast based on bean mass temperature...

I don't log drum (environmental) temps once the beans are in. For me its enough to know when to drop each load in....including that you may have different drum loading temps for different types of beaNS. However, my "machine" does make nice graphs for me to watch if I want to know what the environmental temp is doing. For the moment I don't, once the beans are in.

Comment

If so how?
                    I have a small commercial (Gas) style roaster, which has thermocouples for both Bean Temperature and Air-Flow (Exhaust) Temperature. Not sure if by Environment Temperature you mean Air-Flow Temp or not. In my case the Air-Flow Temp is considered the Temperature that influences what the beans are striving towards, and Bean Temp is an indication of the Bean Mass temperature. My roaster came with a Modbus/USB connection that I now connect using the Artisan software, and which is able to handle and log the 2 Inputs. I did use the CS Monitor and DMM to monitor the Bean Temp only initially, (because I was having problems getting Artisan to connect to the Modbus), but would have needed a 2nd meter to include the Air-Flow temp. Using Artisan with the OEM Modbus connection I can log both directly. However there are some features of the CS Monitor I preferred such as the simple programming interface allowing you to carry out calculations and produce a bespoke printed report for instance.

And as TOK has mentioned below, I also use the Airflow (Drum) Temp more from a perspective of when to drop the beans, with the Bean Temp being more important from then on.

GrahamK
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by GrahamK; 16 September 2014, 04:29 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

, or another multimeter from beanbay
                      Two CS data loggers.....you could look at it terms of having backup??

Comment

I'd love an ET graph along with the BT graph, as I roast with a HG+BM, and have a feeling that when I lower my HG input temp just before and during FC to get my post FC ROR on track, it may be putting my ET into negative.
                        I did a roast repositioning my probe to get ET instead of BT, but i can't replicate exactly the same result as I tweak the heat based on the BT ROR - so I need to see what it is!
                        Anyone come across any cheap temp loggers?

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                          Two CS data loggers.....you could look at it terms of having backup??
                          Gotta sell that to wifey though... and I don't think she's buying!

Comment

Working...
                          X