Light roasts through espresso machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light roasts through espresso machine

I have been roasting a lot of micro lot filter brews lately and loving them through V60 and Syphon, but the past couple of weeks I have been running them through the HX as long blacks and have been pleasantly surprised with the results, they can be confronting as espresso but diluted as a long black and letting them cool down gradually all of the flavours, body and acidity shine through displaying the fine qualities of these great beans.

Welcome to the light side greenman! Everything is worth a try. I like to have my LB with around 60 degree water with a double ris on top. Otherwise known as a Shlong in my cafe . I find that it brings a lot more clarity and sweetness when everything cools down.

Comment

I have found letting lighter roasts like those rest for another week or so tames the in your face espresso and produces lovely, sweet, well rounded shots.

Comment

I find the secret to lighter roasts as a short black/ristretto for my palate is to grind quite a bit finer than a darker roast.

I use a longer preinfusion and a slower pour to highlight the desired characteristics.

Sean

Comment

I find that with lighter roasts you really need to pull them long to get a full extraction - eg 2:1 brew ratio minimumc, more like 2:5 or 3. I find ristrettos generally a bit a bit sour, and under extracted light roasts can be very sour!
          Don't be afraid of a long shot!

Comment

Sorry didn't mention, but a longer full extraction means the shot will be more balanced with sweetness and acidity!

Comment

Nice to have a thread that looks at lighter roasts positively and the best way to achieve their full potential.

Sean

Comment

Originally posted by Bames View Post
                I find that with lighter roasts you really need to pull them long to get a full extraction - eg 2:1 brew ratio minimumc, more like 2:5 or 3. I find ristrettos generally a bit a bit sour, and under extracted light roasts can be very sour!
                Don't be afraid of a long shot!
                How is 2:5 a longer extraction than 2:1?

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                  How is 2:5 a longer extraction than 2:1?
                  Unless I'm missing something, 2:5 = 20gm in 50gm out vs 2:1 = 20gm in 10gm out i.e 40gm extra in shot with 2:5.

Sean

Comment

Originally posted by STS View Post
                    Unless I'm missing something, 2:5 = 20gm in 50gm out vs 2:1 = 20gm in 10gm out i.e 40gm extra in shot with 2:5.

Sean
                    Ahh....I'd assumed that the 'minimum' 2:1 was 'water : ground coffee' (as it is rather tight pour otherwise!).

Comment

Yeah its amazing the difference 5 or 6 degrees in finish temp less in the roaster makes on a 14 to 15 min roast. I like to try all my roasts as filter / AP the day or 2 after.

For the espresso machine and lighter roasts I like to leave them till at least around the 10 day mark, often they get even better in the coming days. Its interesting how very very SWEET some beans can get and the distinction of origin hangs around a long time.

I find it interesting in seeing how long I can run a shot before noticeable over extraction flavours start to kick in. Overall like above I find best enjoyed as long black around the 50 to 55C mark and some coffees when given the chance to cool down a bit more they REALLY open up.

I still keep some beans on hand that have been roasted to that window of first yelps of SC, generally I find they make a more approachable milk coffee which is what most people want anyway. On the odd treat I have milk I think I mostly enjoy it better as well, although a nice DP Ethiopian ,Brazil or Bolivia at a lighter roast can really work in milk.

Comment

Chortle... giggle ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by mwcalder05 View Post
                          Welcome to the light side greenman! Everything is worth a try. I like to have my LB with around 60 degree water with a double ris on top. Otherwise known as a Shlong in my cafe . I find that it brings a lot more clarity and sweetness when everything cools down.
                          Experimental ristrettos or espresso with the lighter SO's is always worth a try. I took your method of 60degree water with a double ris for a 'Schlong' (haha) and it worked out really well for some of them! My usual method while experimenting with SO's was a double ris on its own for most of them but some come out waaay too acidic to be enjoyable. When that happens I would normally switch over to a double ris piccolo.
                          This method of yours is going to be my lazy way of enjoying a nice lightly roasted SO when I don't have time for a siphon. The 'love for the light' in this thread is refreshing.

Comment

....with a double ris for a 'Schlong'
                            Yeah. You'd have to be a dick to order one

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                              Yeah. You'd have to be a dick to order one
                              Wow! A full 2 days before the first negative comment. That would have to be a record wouldn't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X