Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasting Profiles not full body

Hi CSER,

I want to seek some advised from experience roasters. I am currently using Hottop b and have roasted about 5kg of beans in total so far. I am currently experiencing what some might call it medium body for my coffees. Initially I thought it's actually the beans that I am roasting but then I realise most of my cupping note are not full body(unless so happen I choose all that are not full body). To give you an idea of what beans I have got roasted
    -Monsoon Malabar Gold
    -Costa rica Terrazu
    -Guatemala Huehuetenango
    -Guatemala Antigua
    -PNG Peaberry
    -Uganda Bigusu
    -Brazil Santos
    ETC

I generally start tasting 3 days after roasting and up to 10 days to see what's the difference in note. I can taste Citrus, Nutty, Cocoa, Caremel etc but I realise they are not full body. I serve my cuppa with atleast 18-20g for 2 shots so it's a relatively strong shots but seems like the taste just doesn't last. Someone did ask me whether doe the shot go blonding very quickily after the initial few seconds of pulling the shot. Answer : Some beans yes, some beans no.

So my question is it because of me profile of roasting or is it the beans?? I know I dont have th edata logger to help you guys understand my roasting profiles but any idea?? In general I pull my beans between first sound of SC or in the middle of SC. Time between FC and SC is about 2-4 mins depending on the beans.

"Generally speaking" body seems to peak around the cusp or just on the start of second crack.

For espresso, 3 to 5 mins development time from the onset of FC is good, depending on beans and your own preferences. For example you may have a really bright central that has lots of citrus you want to tone down and its a harder bean so can take a little more / slower development, which within reason will also improve body.

A LOT has to do with how you get there as well, starting temps, time to 150BT, ramp to FC ect. So getting a data logger and real time BT monitoring will help you a lot.

What GRINDER and machine are you using ?

Comment

From a bean perspective looks like you have a broad spectrum in terms of expected body. From my experience the Monsoon Malabar and Uganda Bugisu should produce big and heavy espresso whereas the Central Americans will generally produce lighter body.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve82 View Post
        "Generally speaking" body seems to peak around the cusp or just on the start of second crack.

For espresso, 3 to 5 mins development time from the onset of FC is good, depending on beans and your own preferences. For example you may have a really bright central that has lots of citrus you want to tone down and its a harder bean so can take a little more / slower development, which within reason will also improve body.

A LOT has to do with how you get there as well, starting temps, time to 150BT, ramp to FC ect. So getting a data logger and real time BT monitoring will help you a lot.

What GRINDER and machine are you using ?

Currently using Mazzer SJ coupled with Expobar minore III.

Comment

Originally posted by kwantfm View Post
          From a bean perspective looks like you have a broad spectrum in terms of expected body. From my experience the Monsoon Malabar and Uganda Bugisu should produce big and heavy espresso whereas the Central Americans will generally produce lighter body.

Uganda has a earthy note, whereas the MM has a spicy note within the first 3 days then after that(5th day onwards) it becomes citrusy.

Comment

Working...
          X