Popcorn roaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popcorn roaster

Spotted of these in the local Target for $47 and pondered on it's suitability as a coffee roaster. Has anybody tried one out or maybe thought about it?
    Attached Files

I've got a very similar thing at home which I've tried roasting with. The spinning agitator is very slow and it produces a pretty uneven roast, with some beans getting burnt and some being a very, very light brown. I haven't tried roasting with anything else, as I've only just started, but that's my experience with it so far.

Comment

Here's a description of the type of Poppers that are suitable for Coffee Roasting. Vigorous agitation and even heat distribution is the key...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Afroman View Post
        I've got a very similar thing at home which I've tried roasting with. The spinning agitator is very slow and it produces a pretty uneven roast, with some beans getting burnt and some being a very, very light brown. I haven't tried roasting with anything else, as I've only just started, but that's my experience with it so far.
        My neighbour has one of these and was gracious enough to let me burn some coffee in it. Same results - the agitation and consistency of the heat across the surface just isn't there to produce an even roast. You might end up with half of what you roasted being in the right range but I don't feel it would be repeatable.

Comment

the "right" poppers are often under $20. target seem to have one on line for $9

Comment

That might be an interesting idea, but I think it is not for coffee roasting.

Comment

Are thousands of home Popper Coffee Roasters wrong?

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                Are thousands of home Popper Coffee Roasters wrong?

Mal.
                Hi Mal

It would seem that yet another RayT clone has decided to enlighten us with their wisdom and poignant observations

Comment

Poppers are fine if they're the right ones. Our talented tech just purchased one.

Comment

Originally posted by suzyHK4 View Post
                    That might be an interesting idea, but I think it is not for coffee roasting.
                    Wait till you see the strange suggestions about a bread maker and hot air gun

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                      Poppers are fine if they're the right ones. Our talented tech just purchased one.

Now, that's a Popper...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                        Now, that's a Popper...

Mal.
                        Yup and it does a full kg, or at least the models of it I've seen in the past did. They've been available under a variety of company names now for at least a decade that I'm aware of. The main issue I've heard referenced is how easily and often the glass roasting chamber breaks.

Java "Pop what in where?!" phile
                        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I've had great brews from a number of stores that run these in house (in Orange and Sydney).
                          Considered one for a corretto upgrade - but they are still only 1.2kg, and a fair bit of cash for that ($3-$5K from memory?).

Comment

There are a couple of places on the GC with these (including a Merlo store). I have found the coffee to be exceedingly average. Nothing special at all.
                            To be honest I have been quite disappointed with the product.
                            A bit of research will yield some interesting reports on these roasters, and the result in the cup. Nothing too complimentary.

Comment

Interesting.
                              But maybe it has something to do with who's controlling the roaster too

Comment

Working...
                              X