Thermocouple Mounting - Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermocouple Mounting - Discussion

Andy (or anyone else). You're supplying the stainless temperature probe in this kit now (so you need to change the mounting instructions in the diagram in the first post for the larger hole required).

How is this mounted? I tried just screwing it into the outer case but that won't work as the thread doesn't go all the way to the nut so it won't fit snugly. Do you use a washer between nut and case? Somehow put a nut on from inside? Or do you just poke it through when using without attaching it?

Originally posted by Andy View Post
    I'll have a go at answering this....

Happy roasting!
    Thanks Andy and Chokkidog!
    Somehow I missed the your replies and have only just seen the, but in the meantime I've actually been playing at getting the probe in deeper - it sits horizontally, so I can get more of it covered horizontally easily, but I have to go up to about 500g green beans to get much more depth. The adjustments have made it read more smoothly and also slightly higher, so I'm sure that was the cause of the first question.
    My heat gun is roughly mounted on an old beer bottle capper so heat input is relatively consistent, but my bread machine reverses the direction every now and then which combined with poor probe placement probably explains the input log funkiness.
    Generally happy with how my roasts taste, but need to do more tasting and recording of what happens when so I can understand the differences a bit more.

wfdtamer - my probe pokes through the outer case with a tightish fit, and then a loose fit on the metal tin. This keeps it in place well enough but is still easy to quickly remove when I need to pull the tin out.
    cheers
    John

Comment

installing stainless probe in Behmor

Originally posted by wfdTamar View Post
      Andy (or anyone else). You're supplying the stainless temperature probe in this kit now (so you need to change the mounting instructions in the diagram in the first post for the larger hole required).

How is this mounted? I tried just screwing it into the outer case but that won't work as the thread doesn't go all the way to the nut so it won't fit snugly. Do you use a washer between nut and case? Somehow put a nut on from inside? Or do you just poke it through when using without attaching it?

So how did you end up with installing the probe?
      I was about to try it then I saw your question... I would have thought that the stainless probe would have screwed in nice and tightly so there is a good seal..

Would anyone else with a Behmor have a photo or info?

It would be much appreciated!
      Want to make sure I have all the details before I go drilling into my nice shiny roaster.

Thanks

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by wfdTamar View Post
        You're supplying the stainless temperature probe in this kit now (so you need to change the mounting instructions in the diagram in the first post for the larger hole required).
        Sorry, no, the Behmor mounting guidelines that were done years ago are still correct.

3mm hole straight through the two skins.
        4mm hole through the outer skin only.

The probe will be tight but due to the taper at the start of the thread it will allow you to screw it up without a nut and the outer casing of the roaster will enlarge slightly to suit perfectly.

Sounds like you drilled too big a hole already!

It shouldn't matter too much as it just has to sit there, just poke it in and it should be fine.

Comment

Thanks for the info Andy.

Have mounted it no problem.
          Did end up having to drill a 5mm hole to get the thread started.
          Initial hole was 4mm.. then 4.2...then 5 mm.
          The thread is sticking out about 5mm as it is a bit long. But is is locked in tight against the inner skin.
          I guess imagine the bigger hole could have been drilled right through to get it flush. Or use a washer on the outside.

Now to read the manual how to work it all.

Cheers

Karl
          Last edited by KarlBlack; 7 January 2015, 04:40 PM. Reason: add fitted OK

Comment

Working...
          X