Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Behmor: Light roasts and low grown beans...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behmor: Light roasts and low grown beans...?

Hey gang, I'm relatively new to the Behmor 1600+ after upgrading from my customised popper I've used for about 8 months, the Behmor arrived in the first week of January from Andy. It's has been doing a great job thus far for espresso roasting, however one area I've been enjoying lately as far as brewing methods has been is pour over and Aeropress. Now I know the Behmor may not be the best tool for lighter roasts, but I see this as merely a challenge I am yet to learn how to conquer.

Getting to the point: The question I've got is for other Behmor roasters and how you control the exothermic reaction when we have a very limited temp/power adjustment and rather large latency in reaction time? Previously I could drop or raise the temp essentially as fast or slow as I'd like, and with the small poppers charge, the reaction was as instant as you could want. I'm thinking this is my big bottleneck in trying to achieve a good light roast for manual brewing but would love some instruction or advice from other Behmor roasters on what they do for their lighter roasts.

My ritual thus far is to sample-roast 100g and see what happens, knowing that a larger charge will give me more time if I notice any issues with my chosen profile or manual power method. Right now, if I want to drop temps, I can manually over-ride (or if I'm in manual, drop the power) the power, up the drum speed and/or open the door. So far this works well enough, as I usually only want to shave up to ten degrees off to try and stretch FC.

I had a real good time yesterday roasting some low-grown beans (Australian Green Cauldren) with the Behmor. They looked to roll from city to full city in about 5 seconds and are now far too 'roasty' for my V60 or Aeropress, although they are actually pretty good as espresso, so all is not lost! I am obviously better off sticking to the easier, higher grown beans until I learn a thing or two more.
    Last edited by Nickgb; 8 February 2015, 09:31 PM.
Working...
X