Behmor arrived, I made a short film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behmor arrived, I made a short film

I made a little film last night (about 5mins) of the process from roasting through to making a latte.

I'm completely open to criticism - if anything I'm doing looks suss please let me know so I can learn

Very nice video

Comment

Originally posted by gombul View Post
      I made a little film last night (about 5mins) of the process from roasting through to making a latte.

I'm completely open to criticism - if anything I'm doing looks suss please let me know so I can learn
      That's an excellent video mate and everything looked good from here... I wouldn't be surprised if Andy picks up on this to show how easy it is use a Behmor and then drink your very own home-roasted coffee.

Excellent stuff...

Mal.

Comment

Nice video work gombul.

If you like the coffee the way you're making it then continue on as you are. For better flavor development you might like to try to get first crack out to the 10-15 minute mark with another 3-5 minutes after first crack before cooling/pulling the roast. Some people aim for over 15 minutes for first crack. Experiment with different times and profiles and see which you enjoy the most.

Java "Enjoy the journey!" phile
        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

If you put 300-400g of green in you would get closer to the numbers Javaphile was suggesting but it is up to your own taste which is better. I tried a roast like you posted above with the india elephant and it was really sweet. if you roast longer it gets a more caramelized sugar taste which is nice too. Hard to go wrong with that bean which I guess is why Andy has been shipping them with the roaster - excellent choice and I am going to order more.

Maybe your crema is a little pale? Could bump up the brew temp by a couple of degrees.

Comment

Great video, agree with the above re time to first crack, agree that the shot looks a

bit under extracted, and voilà is misspelt. ( A viola is a stringed instrument a bit

bigger than a violin ). Good job.

Comment

I thought it was the name of an espresso based milk drink. Was that 6 parts milk?

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I'll shoot for a longer first crack and try upping the temp on my extraction. I need to start understanding the program buttons. Andy mentioned somewhere what he does when demoing the Behmor, I'll dig that up. Good place to start experimenting.

Chokkidog, the fonts I am using don't support grave accents, it was late and I couldn't be bothered messing around with it

Comment

I appreciated, and enjoyed it, as hubby and I are contemplating a purchase in the near future. It gets a big thumbs up from me .

Comment

Nice work!
                    Behmor is a great machine…

BTW Being a nerd - what did you film that on?

Comment

I think you erred by dropping the beans into the bag using your left hand. A right hand transfer adds sweetness.

In seriousness, a fantastic job. Great to watch.

Comment

Nice comments thanks guys. Designingbycoffee I used a Sony A65 DSLT.

Just did a 200g batch of PNG Wahgi, 10min 1C and another 3mins till 2C. I found the quicker roast of elephant hills (first effort) a bit lacking in the bottom end, if you'll excuse my jargon. See if this is more rounded.

Comment

Wow, that's a seriously great effort. So well shot and edited and really shows the simplicity of getting a green bean to cup.

As far as tips go...

While it's tempting to learn on the smallest batch size, I suggest that you try roasting 200g lots. The roaster does a good job of 100g roasts but I've found over the years that the bean mass of 200g or 400g will yield better results more often. When I demo the roaster at events like MICE (which is on next month!) I tend to do 200g roasts all day and every one is a winner.

Notes! Take plenty. Regardless of what method you use to roast keeping an exercise book of scribble notes is the single best way of building a repeatable technique that suits your tastes and environment. Scribble down the Behmor settings and timings you used, the bean type, the ambient weather, batch size, brew method and any other variable that you think might help at a later date. I've been roasting for years and still use a roast diary on every roast even though I also keep electronic profile graphs.

Enjoy the journey ahead and thanks for sharing

Comment

Chokkidog, the fonts I am using don't support grave accents, it was late and I couldn't be bothered messing around with it
                            ;-D I was, of course, just taking the P ;-D

Nice comments thanks guys. Designingbycoffee I used a Sony A65 DSLT.

Just did a 200g batch of PNG Wahgi, 10min 1C and another 3mins till 2C. I found the quicker roast of elephant hills (first effort) a bit lacking in the bottom end, if you'll excuse my jargon. See if this is more rounded.
                            You might also find that a few more days of rest will help with the bottom end. When you are able to roast enough to go the distance it's

interesting to see how the coffee morphs over time, esp days 4-14 (for most beans).

I would also suggest a better storage method as the ziplock is not an airtight seal. I use tupperware type containers with tight fitting airtight lids

for odds and ends of a couple of hundred grams.

Comment

Cheers Andy. After several years brewing all-grain beer I can at least say my documentation habits are bedded in!

Chokkidog, I was thinking the airlock bag initially to allow the beans to gas off, then transfer to an airtight container some days later once they've settled. That's only my own thinking though, you disagree? I've also been eying off a bean vac. Paul Bassett used to sell a variation but I can't see them on his site anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X