Triple roasted beans???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple roasted beans???????

I was just reading some descriptions of some coffee beans and it said "roasted thrice to achieve the exact level we wanted."

I can only assume this means roasted 3 times..... Is this a normal thing to do??? Is it common?? I've never heard of it, but that doesn't really say much.

I don't think he means 1 type of bean roasted to 3 different levels then combined...

Cant resist this one.

Going only on the advertising description, to a pro roaster this can only mean the same batch roasted three times. ie, you put the batch into the drum and start roasting but take it out when it is only partially roasted. Wait for it to cool. Put it back into the drum again, roast some more and remove (well) before completion again. Cool again. Put it back in for a third time and take it to completion.

Not normal. Not common.

Permit my cynicism, and whether it is true that a roaster really is being bothered to do this (triple handling....extreme inefficiency....time spent .....gimme a break), my opinion is this is just another bit of marketing to try and differentiate from others / have a point of difference....atleast in the blurb, to get people in the door.

The bottom line is: Is the coffee any good. If yes, no problem. But let's not mistake marketing for marketing...eyes wide open. The newcomers must be starting to get hard up for "points of difference".....

PS, a good roasting professional using good coffee (greens) and good roasting equipment, has no trouble to "achieve the exact level we wanted..." when roasting the batch only once to completion. It doesnt need to be double or triple roasted, except where the double/triple roasting is meant to impart a particular character to the particular batch, that the roasting person wants to achieve. ie its not about "achieving the exact level".....it's about achieving a certain character in the roast, to be discerned on the palate.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Funny you mention "newcomers" the roaster has exactly 0 (Zero) feedbacks / trades completed on the website I spotted this listing on.... I have no idea how long they have been in the game...

I was looking at the listing he had when I spotted he had some Monsoon Malabar, I clicked on another bean and read the thrice roasted bit... I can't comment if the coffee is good or not, I'm all the more sceptical now. My eyebrows are raised...........

I asked for clarification... here is the response:

Question --> Tripe roasted? Do you mean roasted 3 times or 1 kind of beans roasted to 3 different levels?

Answer --> Yes. We have been experimenting with different roasting techniques since June last year. We have also been evaluating beans since that time also. Twice or thrice roasting, and yes the same bean, does alter the profile. All beans offered have been roasted light , medium, dark and then variations or degrees of the same roast. n this case thrice, as mentioned, but there is no need unless you want it. We often recommend twice. There is a difference we feel,and our testers feel the same.

Comment

Originally posted by gtstcactus View Post
        I asked for clarification... here is the response:

Question --> Tripe roasted? Do you mean roasted 3 times or 1 kind of beans roasted to 3 different levels?

Answer --> Yes. We have been experimenting with different roasting techniques since June last year. We have also been evaluating beans since that time also. Twice or thrice roasting, and yes the same bean, does alter the profile. All beans offered have been roasted light , medium, dark and then variations or degrees of the same roast. n this case thrice, as mentioned, but there is no need unless you want it. We often recommend twice. There is a difference we feel,and our testers feel the same.
        Which still doesn't answer the question. It sounds more like an excuse for poor roasting ability being completely unable to consistently reproduce a specific roast profile. Their answer is gobbledegook and says/answers nothing. The only thing it says to me is that at best they have an incomplete knowledge of English and at worst they're full of nothing but hot air and attempted marketing spin.

Java "Triple what?!?" phile
        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Hello gtstcactus.

Regarding your question: "...--Do you mean roasted 3 times or 1 kind of beans roasted to 3 different levels?..."

The same BATCH roasted three times as I descibed in my previous post = "triple roasted"...

3 batches of the same variety (kind) of beans, roasted separately to 3 different "levels" and mixed together, is simply a BLEND, and is not "triple roasting" as each part of the BLEND has only been roasted once. Its no different (in terms of definition) to separately roasting 3 different kinds of beans then BLENDing them together.....

Its a shame they havent given you the courtesy of a straight answer instead pulling your leg with double dutch...or....perhaps they dont know any better?

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by TOK View Post
            3 batches of the same variety (kind) of beans, roasted separately to 3 different "levels" and mixed together, is simply a BLEND, and is not "triple roasting" as each part of the BLEND has only been roasted once. Its no different (in terms of definition) to separately roasting 3 different kinds of beans then BLENDing them together.....
            Yup, as has been discussed on here any number of times going all the way back and is usually referred to as an SO or Single Origin blend.

Java "Single what?!" phile
            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I think I will give this chap a miss.... Given all the waffle I'm just not so sure.... Makes me wonder if I'd even get what I ordered!

Comment

yeah but you will never ever know, if you dont try...just playing devil's advocate.

Comment

Working...
                X