What does the "CS" mean ......... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does the "CS" mean ......... ?

This may sound like a silly question, but what does the "CS" stand for when talking about roasting green beans??

CoffeeSnobs

Comment

Ok .... So when they say CS12 ....... What exactly does that mean?

Comment

It's a grading of colour but I'm sure someone will give you a more detailed response

Comment

Originally posted by ldm720 View Post
          Ok .... So when they say CS12 ....... What exactly does that mean?
          They most likely mean they roasted way too dark. I think CS9 is about Full City roast level.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/documentat...-printing.html

Comment

Got it ..... so CS01 is raw bean and CS12 is burnt. Thanks ! ��

Comment

Sounds right idm

Comment

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/home-roast...-cs-terms.html

Comment

I don't know how it is with other roasting setup or with other Behmor users but CS 9 is the color I get for my Full City. Full City Plus is usually a bit darker. My computer monitor perhaps?

Comment

Yep, colour alone as a roast termination point is a bit hit and miss to be honest.

Over the years I've discovered that even as small an adjustment to the Rate of Rise as 1.0Deg C through critical stages of the roast profile, can have marked effects on the outcome in the cup even though end resulting bean colour might be identical to differing profiles. You've really got to pay attention to a number of factors in order to achieve real control over the desired outcome for any particular bean. Lots can be learned from a number of online sources and some books but in the end, you have to keep meticulous records of each roast batch you do with feedback from subsequent results in the cup.

This is what makes home coffee roasting so interesting and so much fun; you never stop learning...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                    X