Scott Rao course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Rao course

Managed to get a ticket to a Scott Rao roasting course last week. Introductions at the start from all the roasters in the room. A WA company that focuses on all the Senses (you know the one)..."We have a 90kg Probat, 45kg Giesen, 2 x 12kg Probats and a few sample roasters". Me..."Behmor". Slightly belittling!

Love it...

How was the course?

Comment

Originally posted by frasertr View Post
      Managed to get a ticket to a Scott Rao roasting course last week. Introductions at the start from all the roasters in the room. A WA company that focuses on all the Senses (you know the one)..."We have a 90kg Probat, 45kg Giesen, 2 x 12kg Probats and a few sample roasters". Me..."Behmor". Slightly belittling!
      I too had the privilege of attending this roasting discussion--a cross section of the Perth roasting community were represented with a diverse range of equipment. Scott had a great knowledge of most of the machinery being used by attendees.
      I think everyone learnt a lot and some were questioning their roast practices and how they could improve on what they were doing.
      Probe sensitivity relating to the size and placement of the probe was an interesting discussion point.
      The session left me wanting to keep learning more but also reinforced to me that a lot of what I am doing is leading me along the right path!

Comment

Interesting Greenman, what was the general consensus on probe placement/size?

Comment

Originally posted by prloring View Post
          Interesting Greenman, what was the general consensus on probe placement/size?
          Scott commented that a lot of larger roasters probes are so thick that the true reading could be out by a huge margin.
          Placing the probe lower in the roaster where the bean mass is concentrated, especially when smaller batches are being roasted, placement of probe on the side where beans gravitate to dependent on which way the drum rotates.
          Probe thickness and sensitivity, the thicker the probe the less accurate reading.

Comment

Agree with greenman - the course was amazing. Scott Rao shared a few little gems that aren't in his book. The guy is very humble. His attitude is that not everything he says is likely to be100% correct, but his techniques gives you the best chance of roasting consistently good coffee. Was very inspiring to be in the room with Perth's most respected specialty roasters.

Comment

Working...
            X