Panama Jaramillo SHB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panama Jaramillo SHB

Just roasted my second batch of this and I'm lost as to why I keep getting a burnt taste ? Roasting in a -Gene- set the temp at 240c till first crack then levelling off and turning down 220c -215c for the second. Not using the cooling cycle tipping out beans straight into colander then a pizza tray for the final cooling.
    I'm new to this whole roasting thing I might add, have done half a dozen other bean batches (Columbian Volcan Galeras Supremo and Indian Elephant Hills )...but they've turned out sensational.
    I'm thinking that these little Panama chaps are trickier to roast ? Is there something that's unique to this type of coffee I need to know ? Maybe a slower temp progression or lower temp in general ?
    Any advice appreciated

Welcome Rich
    As a hard bean, I'd try slowing it down a little to 1C overall, or maybe try more of a ramp up to 1C - say 200 for a while then up to 250 towards 1C? (not knowing the Gene that well). Get that internal temp up before nailing it with higher heat
    Cheers Matt

Comment

Hi RichT,
      I am drinking this right now and also roast in a Gene. I did my usual profile of:
      Preheat to 235
      Emegency stop and load beans
      250 degrees until half way through FC (10-11 mins approx)
      Temp drop to 232
      Temp rise to 238 @ 13.5 mins
      Pulled at 15 mins
      First snaps of second heard as I was dumping

6 days post roast its medium bodied and nicely balanced. No burnt tastes at all for me.

Comment

Ah you guys are the boss !!! ....that's exactly what I needed to know and thanks for your profile depecid that'll help me a lot. I suppose it's a standard 250g batch ?
        Shall give it another go..... tomorrow.
        Cheers
        Rich

Comment

Yep you are correct, 250g batch.
          One thing to keep in mind though is that my Gene is 5 years old now, so my temps may be a bit higher than what you need to achieve a similar result.
          Goodluck!

Comment

Ok just did a batch with your profile depecid and I can tell already it's better. Thanks for the advice I think you've helped me nail it this time....much appreciated.
            Cheers
            Rich

ps didn't need to adjust those times btw pretty much spot on....your Gene is holding up well which is good to know

Comment

Awesome, glad it helped!
              Let us know how it tastes once it's rested sufficiently.

Comment

Ok had my first shot ...still a little fresh but way way better than my first two attempts. Thanks again depecid think you've solved it.
                Cheers
                Rich

Comment

Working...
                X